The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Snowy hoofs? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/snowy-hoofs-109274/)

HarleyWood 01-12-2012 06:18 PM

Snowy hoofs?

Okay so today i went to see my horses and they had ice packed into their hooves i got a lot out but not all they were really in there. so i was wondering how to get ice, snow, with some dirt out? i got it so they walk normal.

draftgrl 01-12-2012 06:23 PM

HA yeah that sucks! If you have the option try some warm water. Otherwise a really strong arm.

Try putting Pam or WD-40 in the hoof as a preventative

Roperchick 01-12-2012 06:24 PM

we use spray cooking oil to keep the snow from sticking and packing in their hooves...as for getting it out i guess you might just have to try and thaw it enough to get it with your hoof pick

HarleyWood 01-12-2012 06:41 PM

i tryed the warm water and had to hold their legs... almost got a knee in the face, it worked pretty well but i ended up using my pick to hack some ice off so they could stand normal. im having my mom pick up more picks for me mind was bending and it went straight.... wouldnt pam make it slippery?

waresbear 01-12-2012 06:44 PM

Nope, Pam stops the ice from balling up in the hooves to begin with.

Roperchick 01-12-2012 06:56 PM

pam doesnt freeze so it wont get slippery it basically soaks onto the hoof and the snow wont stick...its not bad for the hooves at all either

waresbear 01-12-2012 06:59 PM

Also, when you are done with the horses' hooves, you can take your Pam & go make a tray of muffins & nothing will stick.

AlexS 01-12-2012 06:59 PM

Muscle is the only way to get rid of it.

COWCHICK77 01-12-2012 07:34 PM

I second or third the Pam or WD40. Our saddle horse pen for horses kept up had a river running through the middle, so it has a given that we would chip ice out of shoes in the winter. I use a flat head scewdriver and a shoeing hammer.Just be careful where you have the screw driver head pointed as not to stick through his sole. And really support his hoof with your thighs when your doing it. Usually we pull everyones shoes for the winter but sometimes it snows before we get it done.

kayleeloveslaneandlana 01-12-2012 07:48 PM

I had the same trouble with my horses. I agree it just takes a clout of muscle! I ended up putting front winter shoes on my horse and it took care if that problem.