The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Synthetic saddles (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/synthetic-saddles-109275/)

furbabymum 01-12-2012 07:19 PM

Synthetic saddles

How do you feel about them and why?

jumanji321 01-12-2012 07:22 PM

I actually use a synthetic english saddle right now. Like leather saddles, it depends on the brand and personal preference for me really. I've sat in some really crappy leather saddles sometimes.

furbabymum 01-12-2012 07:31 PM

It's all I have right now so I'm really curious. I love how light they are but a few horsey friends of mine have made noises of disgust over them.

waresbear 01-12-2012 07:36 PM

I like leather, however I needed a saddle with an interchangeable gullet. In order to keep the costs within reason for 2 saddles (hubby needed one as well), we purchased synthetic, mine a flexrider, his a wintec. I like mine, he says he likes his.

Prinella 01-12-2012 07:37 PM

I love my wintecs! the tecknas look pretty too though, sadly they're a tad more expensive.

I love the ease of them and the price. Just picked up a used one for 350 fully mounted with cair few rub marks obviously well used but still in good nick.

I actually prefer an equisuede (sp?) seat to a leather one, between the suede and my stickybums my butt isnt going anywhere i dont want it to.

Chuckface 01-12-2012 07:38 PM

Not a fan personally, Ive had friends who have had the average quality ones and after about 6 months of use the stuffing all moved round and they hate them. I would prefer to get a average quality leather saddle than a 'high' quality synthetic.

waresbear 01-12-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckface (Post 1305683)
Not a fan personally, Ive had friends who have had the average quality ones and after about 6 months of use the stuffing all moved round and they hate them. I would prefer to get a average quality leather saddle than a 'high' quality synthetic.

We've had ours (Flexrider & a Wintec) for a year now, both purchased brandnew. Both saddles are used a lot and no noticeable wear shown, in fact both look almost brand new still.

jumanji321 01-12-2012 07:44 PM

I have a Tekna and they are more expensive but I think they look a lot nicer than Wintecs.

smrobs 01-12-2012 07:44 PM

For me, I don't personally like them because they are not what I need, but so long as others who do want to use them take the time to look into brands and buy a good one that won't fall apart and won't hurt their horse, then that's great for them. There are times that I would love to have a saddle that weighed 20 pounds instead of 40, but then again, a synthetic wouldn't very well hold up to dragging a 1000 pound cow at the end of a rope LOL.

bubba13 01-12-2012 07:44 PM

Depends on the brand. I'm a saddle snob, but I've seen some synthetics I like.