The Horse Forum banner

Hey I'm new

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Friesian Mirror 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm Ahrena (Josie) and I'm 14 and I've got 3 horses.

One is actually my sisters. She used to do a bit of light competing and jumping on him but she's lost of her confidence so just really hacks. He's a 14.3hh cob gelding called Jacob and has serious manner problems. (He's such a thug)Not a plod at all.

Then I've got Willow. She's my absolute baby, I owe my life to her. I've had her since the 23rd September 2004. I hated her when I got her, she threw me off almost every time I rode her. She bucked every time I asked to canter, she wouldn't canter on the correct leg on the right rein, she had never been on the bit in her life, she wouldn't jump. She would rip the reins out of my hands and bolt to the gate, and so on. I couldn't hack her, alone she would spin round and bolt home, in company she jogged, bucked, bolted, backed into cars, reversed into hedges trying to rear and so on. Somehow, don't ask me how (I wasn't having lessons) she transformed into a horse who went on the bit beautifully in all 3 paces, jumped 4 foot, cantered beautifully on each leg, did flying changes, hacked out beautifully alone and in company. She still fizzed up but a lot better. She became a local star at shows, winning or placing every time out. We moved up the heights quickly, and in 2005 we qualified for chiltern & thames rider champs, open and intermeidiate (3 foot 3 and 3 foot). However then we started having problems. She started stopping again and started biting and kicking anyone who came near her.
We phoned the vet who diagnosed arthritus in her hocks (she was only 8) They treated her for it and she changed back into the lovely natured horse she is. We took her back to basics jumping and she started doing her double clears again and winning everytime out once more. Slowly she moved back up, by April we were jumping 2 foot 9 double clears. In January she had qualified for Cricklands 2 foot 3 champs so I was looking forward to that because of the way she was jumping. She had also qualified for trailblazer 2 foot 6 and 2 foot 9. Cricklands came and ended up a disaster. She started stopping again so we called out the vet once more. 3rd August 2006 she had a treatment which almost cost her her life. They treated the arthritus and ordered 6 weeks field rest. A week later she came in hopping lame. She went to the vet and didn't come home for 2 months. She had morphine dripped into her spine and her legi n a cast and she still couldn't move. They were going to put her to sleep but then she started improving.
When she came home it was another 3 months before she could be turned out. Now this very Saturday I'm allowed to ride her for the very first time. In time she can also be jumped again. They though she may never be ridden again, but she's fought it.

Sorry for the essay but she's VERY special to me. She's changed so much I'm even going to teach my nervous mum to ride on her.

Then finally I have my pride and joy, a rising 6 year old 14.3hh welsh, bay roan, called Lacey. She's a star for the future. I've jumped her 4 foot and she doesn't bat an eyelid, she's been lightly competed up to 3 foot and has won 3/4 double clears, the one she didnt win was a massive class and she came 3rd (without trying thee are) she has a very fast natural rhythm so I shan't complain. She's also a LOT of fun and I love her to peices. I bought her as a project for £1500 last August when Willow went into hospital.

Sorry for the essays :D But that's my lot

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.