The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   APHA/PtHA disase testing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/apha-ptha-disase-testing-109300/)

MyLittlePonies 01-12-2012 08:46 PM

APHA/PtHA disase testing

I'm no 100% sure whether this was a good place, but I thought this would be a great spot to talk about what kinds of disease testing or any other testing relating to the APHA/PtHA that way people can learn of what is it and where it comes from when breeding horses.

What kinds of diseases should be tested in order to breed Paint an Pinto horses so we are aware of what is out there? What bloodlines are associated with them?

I'm not good at this kind of thing. I usually confuse people :)
Oh, and I'm not just picking on paint and pinto horses, im making one for qh as well. it just fascinates me on what diseases are out there and in the long run it would help others including myself to learn how to do genetics better :)

bubba13 01-12-2012 09:19 PM

Everything from the Quarter Horse thread: HYPP, HERDA, GBED, PSSM, and OLWS....of course, depending on bloodlines. No need to test for HYPP if there's no Impressive, and so on.

MyLittlePonies 01-12-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba13 (Post 1306036)
Everything from the Quarter Horse thread: HYPP, HERDA, GBED, PSSM, and OLWS....of course, depending on bloodlines. No need to test for HYPP if there's no Impressive, and so on.

How about horses who don't have impressive, but have relation such as sire, dam or sibbilings?

bubba13 01-12-2012 09:24 PM

Not sure what you're asking. Either the horse is a descendent of Impressive or it isn't.

MyLittlePonies 01-12-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba13 (Post 1306048)
Not sure what you're asking. Either the horse is a descendent of Impressive or it isn't.

I was meaning if it was by one of Impressive's brother's decendents? Or his sire's desendents? I've heard so much.

bubba13 01-12-2012 09:45 PM

I think they say they've traced it back to Zantanon and blah blah blah, but so far as I know there has never been a confirmed case of HYPP in any horse that wasn't a direct descendent of Impressive.