The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   To Breed or Not to Breed, That is the question?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/breed-not-breed-question-10931/)

aappyfan1 07-02-2008 12:00 PM

To Breed or Not to Breed, That is the question??
 
Ok I have a Registered Stallion who is 20 years old and I have a Reg. Mare that is 10 this year. I have had 2 gorgous colts out of these two. One which I lost as a yearling. I really really would like a filly out of these two but not sure if I can and I don't really want another gelding.( Although I would be ok with it if it was another colt.) Thats my delemma. :?:

Sara 07-02-2008 12:13 PM

I would not, if you are just looking for a specific sex. Better to go out and buy a nice filly.

Small_Town_Girl 07-02-2008 01:35 PM

I agree with Sara completely, just go out and purchase you a
nice filly or mare instead if taking a chance and breeding them
again.

aappyfan1 07-02-2008 06:36 PM

Yes indead I could go out and buy a filly, but then it wouldn't have the same breeding as a filly from my stallion and Mare. I have a mare from of my Stallion, but out of a different mare. She is so gentle and sweet and a dream to train. The one colt I have from my Stallion and Mare has great disposition and comfirmation.,and wonderful colour, I would just like to have that in a filly. I wouldn't breed my mare just to try for a filly. She hasn't been in foal for almost 5 years for that reason.

Sara 07-02-2008 07:54 PM

Its a tough decision to make, of course I can only offer my rational opinion since I don't know either horse :) Just out of curiosity, what is your stallion's colt/filly ratio?

Harlee rides horses 07-02-2008 08:28 PM

Honestly, if you plan on keeping the baby for yourself and not to sell, then go for it. But if you see yourself selling the baby for any reason really, then please just go buy one.

My2Geldings 07-03-2008 01:45 PM

Don't breed. If you want another foal, go out and buy one. No use in risking breeding your mare and risking her health in the hopes you get the gender etc that you want. Just go out and buy exactly what you want.

Dumas'_Grrrl 07-03-2008 03:36 PM

I am inclined to agree with the others. I would just go buy what you want. No need putting up with any health concerns. :D

irisheyes12 07-06-2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara
I would not, if you are just looking for a specific sex. Better to go out and buy a nice filly.

I agree. No sense in putting another horse on the ground that's going to be looking for a new home.

carriedenaee 09-26-2008 10:44 AM

im not sure that she meant if it was a colt she was goin to sell it, It sounds to me like you are garunteed to have a good horse out of the pair . filly would be nice but a colt would be fine too????

i think you have already made your mind up, but if you want advice, if you are getting good strong horses from a pair, and you know the foal you get will be another great horse to add to your herd. Then go for it, the problem with going and buying, you can wind up with a horse that was said to be one thing but wound up being a dud.

So either way you decide, good luck!!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0