The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Custom saddles? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/custom-saddles-109315/)

scarlson 01-12-2012 10:51 PM

Custom saddles?

Hi all! So my parents have graciously told me that I can get a custom saddle for my horse :D My horse is a thoroughbred, and has really high withers. I've been using a Wintec saddle, but I really want to get him a saddle that fits him perfectly. He's eight years old and filled out beautifully, so I'm not worried about him growing too much more.

I used to have a Stubben which I loved, but recent reviews I've read seem to suggest that their quality has gone down? I'd like either an eventing or jumping saddle, since we do jump a bit. I'd also like to keep at a reasonable price (I know custom saddles can be expensive, but if was around $3000, that would be lovely). Any brands that really stand out in quality? Does anyone know about custom saddle makers in the Sacramento area?

kitten_Val 01-12-2012 11:16 PM

I'd look into Black Country or County. Both are very comfortable and nicely made.

I didn't do research on County, but I did for BC, and some of Black Country models (say, Quantum) are under $3K plus they do customizations for horse and rider.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 01-13-2012 01:05 AM

Go for Hermes, you can't beat them for fit and comfort. Don't think you'll do it for 3K or under though.

countercanter 01-13-2012 10:09 PM

Antares...all the way. I am absolutely in love with mine.
Posted via Mobile Device

DejaVu 01-14-2012 10:38 AM

I would personally go with a buffalo leather Antares...
If you go on their website, and they'll send you to a rep closest to your area. I'd imagine their would be some reps in the Sacramento area to come out and fit you and your horse.

My second choice would be a CWD.

Cas 01-17-2012 03:46 AM

I agree with the Antares that was mentioned above, I have one and they are fabulous! Although if you want to spend slightly less, I would definitely agree with the County recommendation too! Especially in buffalo, those things are built to last forever, and are super beautiful. If I ever got rid of my Antares, I would definitely get a County Innovation!