The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Is it worth it? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/worth-109354/)

emeraldstar642 01-13-2012 09:28 AM

Is it worth it?

I generally enjoy riding greener horses as opposed to push-button lesson horses; it gives me more to work with and teaches both me and the horse a lot. I've helped in the process of riding and training some. Usually my instructor gives me a green horse to ride and I work with him until he's better trained (unfortunately after he's an easier ride, someone else usually falls in love with him and I have to move to a new horse because he's not actually mine).

Recently I rode a very young horse who is probably one of the greenest I've ever ridden. She's a large draft cross with a lot of energy and spirit. Though she's rather honest, she has a go-go-go mindset unlike any other horse I've rode. When I say she's fast, I mean she's FAST. Half-halts, sitting back, circles, bending, saying 'whoa' and trying to keep her calm and all the other usual methods don't work very well with her. She just has so much pent up energy, and as soon as someone gets on her back she feels the need to get it all out. When she walks, she tries to trot, and as soon as she trots, her stride gets choppy and she tries to canter. When she canters she's a speeding bullet. On top of that, she breaks stride often. It's like it's either stop or take off with no in between. Also, she spooks at almost everything and shies away from the walls (like I said, she's still young). I could keep pretty good control of her on the flat, but jumping was out of the question.

In my opinion what she needs is to be lunged to get out all that pent up energy, even free lunged (she's hasn't been lunged in a LONG time). She spends so much time in a box stall, and there are very few riders who would be experienced enough to ride her that don't have there own horses, so she isn't ridden as often as most of the horses. When I rode her I could literally feel her power and energy and the need to let it all out. She also needs a lot of work on the flat as well as someone's time and patience.

My question is, is it worth it to work with her? I know that with my trainers help and a lot of flat work we could make some big improvements... but at the same time I have no control of her lunging, feed, tack, or turn in and out. I do not own her so the only thing I can do is ride her and possibly do a little bit of groundwork. I come and ride around 2 times a week, sometimes more (I work at the barn so I get extra riding time in exchange). She has a lot of potential but a long way to go, and it would be best if someone actually bought her, but until then should I give it a shot? Or, since my barn just bought a bunch of new horses, most of them still young, should I try another horse?

Speed Racer 01-13-2012 09:35 AM

To whom does she belong?

emeraldstar642 01-13-2012 09:38 AM

She belongs to the main owners of the barn (it's a big boarding and show barn), but she's technically a lesson horse although the trainers there are very careful about who they let ride her.

Speed Racer 01-13-2012 09:45 AM

In other words, she's going to be a lesson horse once she's properly trained.

I guess my question to you is, what do you get out of training their horse for them, other than the possibility of incurring broken bones and a possible TBI?

As far as lungeing her, all that does is make a horse more fit, not less. So if she's a ball of energy now, the fitter she gets the more energetic she'll be.

What is your personal motivation, other than being a daredevil, for training this horse for them? And will you be able to walk away from her if/when she's sold down the road?

emeraldstar642 01-13-2012 10:06 AM

My personal motivation is just that I simply enjoy it. I enjoy training horses and working with them. There's no real big reason, it's just that I like doing it. :) And if it really came down to it and I really fell in love with this horse, I would buy her. The horses at my barn are not advertised for sale, but most will be sold if a good offer is made.

kitten_Val 01-13-2012 10:08 AM

If it's safe for you, and you like riding/working with her, and the owners don't mind then why not? The problem working with someone else's horse is that if it's ridden by other people (not as experienced) they can screw all work you put in.

Skyseternalangel 01-13-2012 06:08 PM

Are you paying to ride this horse or is it a free saddle time/training type deal?

ponyboy 01-13-2012 06:17 PM

I used to ride a mare like this. Try squeezing your outside rein a lot - not pulling, just squeezing. Also, slow your posting at posting trot and avoid rocking at the canter.

Eolith 01-13-2012 08:14 PM

You mentioned that this mare is extremely green -- part of her speed and choppiness may be that she still hasn't quite figured out how to move well with a rider on her back. When a horse feels off balance, they will sometimes opt to move faster and faster. If this is the root cause of her speed, longeing isn't likely to help all that much.

AlexS 01-13-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1306590)

As far as lungeing her, all that does is make a horse more fit, not less. So if she's a ball of energy now, the fitter she gets the more energetic she'll be.

Completely agree with this.

To the OP what will also happen is initially you get rid of the crazy by tiring the horse on the lunge. However what will happen is that the horse gets fitter and you are spending longer and longer lunging.