The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cutting and Team Penning (http://www.horseforum.com/cutting-team-penning/)
-   -   Team Penning and Team Sorting (http://www.horseforum.com/cutting-team-penning/team-penning-team-sorting-109383/)

CowgirlHannah 01-13-2012 04:07 PM

Team Penning and Team Sorting

Could someone please tell me the difference between Team Penning and Team Sorting? Thanks.

Stillstandin 01-13-2012 04:47 PM

Team Penning is three riders, a pen set up at one end of the arena with 30 head of cattle at the other end of the arena. The cattle will be wearing numbers typically 0-9 with there being 3 number 1, three number 2, etc. Clock starts when the first rider crosses the line. The objective is to pull the three cattle wearing the correct number and put them into the pen in the shortest amount of time. Time limit depends upon the class, but is usually 60 seconds for the higher numbered classes. A 30 second time is a good time but you may need to be in the 20s to win.
Team sorting is again three riders but typically the arena is split in half with an opening in the center. There are 10-12 head of cattle wearing numbers agin typically 0-9, if 12 head then two will not have numbers. The objective is to sort the cattle in the correct numerical order through the opening in the fastest time. Common time limit is 75 seconds with a time in the 40s being a good time.
There is also Ranch Sorting which is two riders sorting in a 60ft round pen instead of half of an arena.

CowgirlHannah 01-14-2012 12:48 AM

Okay thank you.

rob 01-15-2012 11:19 PM

stillstandin,you hit the differences of penning and sorting very well.have you ever done any of it and if so,which do you like the most?

Stillstandin 01-16-2012 11:58 AM

I started team penning and sorting in Dec 2007. Can remember because my friends drug me out and put me on their horses after I lost my barrel horse in a car accident that month. I was addicted instantly. It took me a year to find and purchase the two horses that I have today and I began to compete quite seriously last year. I have been lucky and had a fair amount of success in all three.
Penning is flat out adrenalin rush for me. This year I will be doing two associations up here in Alberta. There will also be some big jackpots as well.
Team sorting I like because it is a bit more technical on the cattle but also has the speed. I have won two saddles so far in this event. Both horses are pretty good at this each one having won a saddle.
Ranch sorting is the most technical and while I really enjoy it my gelding doesn't. lol He gets too impatient. I prefer my mare for this.
We don't have any sanctioned sortings just jackpots up here.
Where do you compete?

NicoleS11 01-16-2012 12:29 PM

StillStanding, what associations are you joining this year?? I know im doing ATCPS and im thinking about lakeland...not sure yet...

Stillstandin 01-16-2012 12:39 PM

I will be doing Chinook and CATPA this year. I know a couple of people who ride with you up there though. lol. Good luck this year. Will you be coming down for Nationals in the fall? Or the Stampede?

NicoleS11 01-16-2012 12:46 PM

Yes I plan on doing both. Nationals for sure but not 100% on Stampede yet.

I bought my new horse off the Hansens about a month ago so Im just trying to get him working right then we'll be good! Just took my second Cody McAurthur clinic this weekend and it was great!

Good luck this year!