The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   What Do You Use? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/what-do-you-use-109438/)

sierrams1123 01-14-2012 01:10 AM

What Do You Use?
 
I have always used the braided barrel reins made from the parachute cords but have noticed the few that use braided leather barrel reins.

A friend of mine recently bought a pair of leather reins and I am itching to get me a pair, maybe it really has to do with the classier look of the leather reins but I like them a lot. I also like the way they feel.


Who all uses what and why?

I would love to hear any ones personal pros and cons to both.

They only negative thing I can say about the parachute cord barrel reins is that some that I have had get very slick or very sticky feeling when they get wet with water and/or sweat.

BarrelRacer23 01-14-2012 10:46 AM

The braided reins, mainly because a few years ago when I switched colors the reins that matched were braided and now I've come to like them the best. Used to I had rope reins like lead rope material that's what my mom prefers. I have a pair of really nice braided reins that I wash on occasion. My reins are flat braided too. My only issue with them is they stretch.
Posted via Mobile Device

allisonjoy 01-14-2012 10:50 AM

i use braided barrel reins too, mostly because of the color options but also because i find the grip better. (: also the washing option can take them from drab to fabulous.

QHriderKE 01-14-2012 10:55 AM

I like heavy training split reins. But I did just buy some braided barrel racing reins....

Spotted Image 01-14-2012 01:26 PM

Braided Barrel Races, just them in training, breaking horses and trail riding.

sierrams1123 01-14-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrelRacer23 (Post 1308096)
The braided reins, mainly because a few years ago when I switched colors the reins that matched were braided and now I've come to like them the best. Used to I had rope reins like lead rope material that's what my mom prefers. I have a pair of really nice braided reins that I wash on occasion. My reins are flat braided too. My only issue with them is they stretch.
Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:

Originally Posted by allisonjoy (Post 1308100)
i use braided barrel reins too, mostly because of the color options but also because i find the grip better. (: also the washing option can take them from drab to fabulous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by QHriderKE (Post 1308102)
I like heavy training split reins. But I did just buy some braided barrel racing reins....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spotted Image (Post 1308225)
Braided Barrel Races, just them in training, breaking horses and trail riding.

I am assuming you all are referring to the braided parachute cord reins, not the leather, correct?

allisonjoy 01-14-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sierrams1123 (Post 1308620)
I am assuming you all are referring to the braided parachute cord reins, not the leather, correct?

that's what I am referring too!

equiniphile 01-14-2012 08:37 PM

I use these from Weaver leather:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...00_10189_n.jpg

They were pretty cheap, and I only barrel race at county fairs, but they work well for me.

BarrelRacer23 01-14-2012 10:08 PM

Yes the braided cords. Preferably from disco tack where mine came from
Posted via Mobile Device

sierrams1123 01-14-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrelRacer23 (Post 1308959)
Yes the braided cords. Preferably from disco tack where mine came from
Posted via Mobile Device

I got a pair from them before and they were beautiful! but after a few uses they had faded but they have held up very well and I still use them.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0