The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Need advice on legal bit similar to Kimberwick? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/need-advice-legal-bit-similar-kimberwick-109441/)

With Grace 01-14-2012 02:22 AM

Need advice on legal bit similar to Kimberwick?

So, the horse I lease has been ridden in a jointed Kimberwick. As we progress in our training, and get closer to our first test, i will need to find a dressage legal bit that acts similar to the Kimberwick. I do intend to discuss this with my trainer, who is also her owner, but just wanted to get some suggestions from some of the bit experts here.

tinyliny 01-14-2012 03:13 AM

is a pelham legal?

HowClever 01-14-2012 03:22 AM

As far as I am aware, for low level dressage the only legal bits are snaffles.

Pelhams are definitely not legal.

Kayty 01-14-2012 03:36 AM

Definitely not in Australia anyway!!! Snaffles only, no leverage of any kind - though bauchers have just been approved as dressage legal here, so that's probably the closest you're going to get.

tlkng1 01-14-2012 08:01 AM

I agree with Kayty...I had to do the same...drop from a Kimberwicke (Or Kimblewicke as the absolute correct term) for training and tried out, literally, 15 different types of bits in the space of a couple of months. The Baucher, of course the last bit I tried, was the best "fit".

Golden Horse 01-14-2012 11:21 AM

Well here are your choices

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...legal_bits.jpg

Time to start playing and see what your horse likes best.

With Grace 01-14-2012 12:43 PM

Thanks so much for the replies! I'll talk to my trainer about the Baucher.

Since the Kimberwicke is used on her during a few lessons each week when I don't have her, is it going to confuse her for me to use the Baucher when I ride? I'm interested to to see how changing the bit is going to go with her.

maura 01-14-2012 01:16 PM

No, changing the bit won't confuse her.

It's a pretty common practice to change up bits as part of your schooling routine; frenquently I would ride in a more severe bit for the last tune up before a competition, and then ride the competition in something milder.

I would spend as much time as you can practicing with whatever dressage level bit you choose, going from a jointed Kimberwicke to the Baucher is a pretty big step down in bit.

With Grace 01-14-2012 01:30 PM

Thanks Maura...we were planning on testing Intro A and B in April, but perhaps I should push that out another month and work a lot with the new bit. (I have to take all of March off of riding due to surgery, so only have February left to work with her)

Kayty 01-14-2012 04:23 PM

Just Grace, I wouldn't give up April comp plans just yet if you can find a suitable bit in the short term. It is really just a matter of playing it by ear. You might be surprised and finds that she goes even better in the new bit, or adapts to it very quickly.

Why exactly does she needs to work in a Kimberwick? Maybe, depending on the reason, we could help with other bit suggestions that could do a similar job.
I like the baucher as a pre-cursur to start a horse in a double, as it gives a very similar action to a curb, putting some pressure over the poll when you engage the rein further than simple contact. This is great for horse's that are quite locked or like to run and brace through the poll, jaw and neck. If that's an issue you have, the baucher would certainly be a good starting point :)