The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is this true??

5K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  xXSerendipityXx 
#1 ·
The owner of the barn (who rides paints and quarter horses, therefore doesn't body clip) saw me body clipping my horse. I didn't leave hair on his back where the saddle goes, I clipped it off.
She told me I can't ride him until his coat grows out more, because it will be prickly on his back and he'll freak out.
Is this true?

#2 ·
Hey, I know every1 has there own ways of doing things but personally iv never heard of not been able to ride a horse just after its had a full clip. Since I got my first pony iv always got them a full (all over) clip every year when they were in work. Never had an issue with them been irritated by it. I know your meant to give them a we wash after just to lift of any oil that came of the clippers and after that your grand.
Its up to yourself, if you find your horse tickly or irritated maybe let them of work or lunge for a wk, just till a we bita hair grows back and its sitting flater.. good luck

#3 ·
So have you never clipped your horse before? I'm just a little confused because your post seems to read like this is something you do all the time, yet you are also asking if you can/can't ride afterwards due to the clipping. Have you never clipped and ridden before this? If you have, how did he react? It just seems like something you would know either is or isn't going to be an issue for this particular horse from previous experience.

#6 ·
...Why can't you clip a paint? Will the colors blend? :lol:

I'm genuinely curious. But I also figure that maybe at one point in time there has been a horse who would be bothered by riding after a trim, but I doubt most horses will behave that way.

#14 ·
...Why can't you clip a paint? Will the colors blend? :lol:

LOL!!! :rofl:

I have a Paint/QH cross, she gets trace clipped each winter so that she's not a sweaty mess than takes 10 years to cool out when we are working (which we do all year long)...OOOH she works soooo hard!! :lol:

You can kinda see the trace clip in this pic:

#11 ·
Some horses are sensitive to the "bristley" feeling that clipped hair has under a saddle pad. Many people will leave a saddle patch to avoid this possibility

However, many people don't leave this patch. I have done total clips with no problems at all. If a horse is sensitive at first, they will get used to it. Then, next time, you might leave a saddle patch.

Personally, I wouldn't worry and that person has no business criticizing you.

#17 · (Edited)
Nonsense! I do like to leave a saddle shaped pad of hair when I clip performance horses, just for that little extra padding between saddle and back, but no, it's not necessary.

I used to groom for a pinto & paint trainer and she didn't body clip because she felt it ruined the coat. But she also had a heated barn, kept the horses blanketed and under lights, 24/7.

#19 ·
I had a client who boarded a TB gelding with me who would be sensitive after his body clip but it was from the little hairs that were left behind (like the hair that gets in your collar after a hair cut). She would brush him well after the clip with a soft brush she would wet with warm water to help get the clipped hairs off. She also did VO5 hot oil treatments on him every month to keep his skin and coat moisturized. It was the dry skin that was his issue after the fact. Her chestnut would be dappled like a summer coat within two weeks of the clip. He is the only one I have know that required so much work.

PS clean saddle pads are a must!! A saddle pad with dried sweat on a freshly clipped horse put another friend in the dirt...that was a quick lesson for all of us ;). That must have been itchy for sure...

#20 ·
as others have said it's more of a personal preference.
I have had one trainer cancel ALL of this one girls lessons because she clipped the saddle area and 4 disagreed
another 8 of my trainers clip their horses backs
if you feel worried, use a clean saddle pad and maybe a half pad on top for extra cushion

#21 ·
Not really, I don't think. As long as it's even, his back being clipped shouldn't be "prickly."
It sounds like this person doesn't really get a say in this area seeing as she/he doesn't get their horse clipped in the first place. Have you ever had your horse be sensitive to having its saddle area clipped before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.