The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Plus Sized Riders (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/)
-   -   What's the best horse for my size and ability? (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/whats-best-horse-my-size-ability-109462/)

Turndial 01-14-2012 12:13 PM

What's the best horse for my size and ability?

You've probably seen this question 1000 times before but here's my problem. I'm 5'4", 78kg and do everything right to lose weight but it just never goes away! my weight is all on my bottom half (legs and bum).

I'm a confident novice rider and the last horse I had was on part-loan and was a 16.2 TB X. Had to give up due to circumstances (of the horse/owner).

I now want to venture out and buy my own horse but I don't want something that big. I want a horse/pony that I won't need to struggle to mount and I love the smaller weight carriers (cobs etc).

Any and all recommendations for what I should be looking for are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cinnys Whinny 01-14-2012 12:19 PM

I'd say a Quarter Horse or Morgan would probably be a good match. They ae shorter, yet very sturdy and stout breeds :)

Ans if I may say so, your weight isn't too bad, at least not as in something for a horse to carry. My horse is 15H Paint and I'm a little over 200. He has no problems with my weight at all.

Turndial 01-14-2012 12:27 PM

Thanks, I'm actually in UK (forgot to mention that!) so I Don't think I could find a QH very easy!

Cinnys Whinny 01-14-2012 12:28 PM

HMMM, that's true. I need to brush up on my UK breeds, I don't know many of them.

Golden Horse 01-14-2012 12:55 PM

Lets do the conversions:

78K = 172 pounds

Which is around 12 stone

So I'm not seeing your weight as that much of an issue, if you were a few inches taller no one would question your riding weight.

Being in the UK you have a great amount of choices, and of the bigger native ponies would work well, Highland, Fell, Welsh section D, sorry if I missed any.

But as you mentioned, the UK is blessed with a whole lot of cobs, so don't narrow your search to much, don't get hung up on a breed but start thinking about what height works well, what sort of temperament, what you actually want to do, and find something that fits all those things.

Good luck in your search.

Fellpony 01-14-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Horse (Post 1308202)
Lets do the conversions:

78K = 172 pounds

Which is around 12 stone

So I'm not seeing your weight as that much of an issue, if you were a few inches taller no one would question your riding weight.

Being in the UK you have a great amount of choices, and of the bigger native ponies would work well, Highland, Fell, Welsh section D, sorry if I missed any.

But as you mentioned, the UK is blessed with a whole lot of cobs, so don't narrow your search to much, don't get hung up on a breed but start thinking about what height works well, what sort of temperament, what you actually want to do, and find something that fits all those things.

Good luck in your search.

I agree that any of these breeds would suit you well. I myself ride a Fell pony and I am a massive fan of the breed in general.

I think with you being a novice rider a confidence giver is a must. Much more than breed.

I do hope you find something though, I am a mature rider myself. I wouldn't be without my pony now.

Turndial 01-14-2012 03:00 PM

Thanks - I'm almost 30, I don't want to compete, just a happy hack, light schooling and possibly xc (if I ever get to a capable level).

What, height wise for a horse should I be looking for? I don't care about breed, colour etc. I know that I need to be looking for a preferably older horse that's 'been there, done that'. Seems as though they are either all really expensive or 'not a novice ride'!

tinyliny 01-14-2012 03:12 PM

ooh! a cob of Fell pony sounds lucious. I love those breeds. Not so easy to find in US. AND, you are not that heavy! not at all.

Golden Horse 01-14-2012 03:14 PM

LOL, can't really help with that one Turndial, when I first went horse shopping as a re rider, I was a lot heavier and a lot older than you. I decided after a lot of research that a Haflinger (hey you have them in the UK as well) would suit me fine, small enough to get on, small enough to fall off.

I found my beautiful stout little Haflinger, she is easy to get on, if you use a block, the first time I sat in her I just felt so odd, and scared, and figured it was because I was older and fatter. Over time though I've discovered that while I love her deeply, and I think she is the prettiest girl ever, I HATE riding her:-(

My mount for the last couple of years, has been a 15.2 hh appyxdraft, need a mounting block to get on, but a bonus is he has withers to anchor the saddle, I feel far more secure in him than I ever did on her.

Last year I started riding my 16hh rescue very drafty mare and that was even better, and now I have a verging on 17hh horse outside ready for me to try.

After all that, my advice, go and ride as many different types, heights and shapes of horses that you can, and find the one that makes you smile.

Turndial 01-14-2012 03:22 PM

'...go and ride as many different types, heights and shapes of horses that you can, and find the one that makes you smile.'

I love that advice lol!

Am I too big for 14.2?