The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   HELP!!! Abscess question... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-abscess-question-10947/)

kitten_Val 07-02-2008 02:50 PM

HELP!!! Abscess question...

The horse stepped on nail and developed deep abscess in hoof. The vet doesn't put any ointment, but put sugar/iodine mix and wrap REALLY high (above the fetlock). Is it a right thing to do? She has that abscess for while (3 weeks at least) and it doesn't look healing.

I'm wondering, because when my horse had bad abscess my vet did different things with her. Also as far as I know its not really good to wrap so high.

This is NOT my horse (I'm just looking after her for couple weeks and she was left to me with the abscess) and NOT my vet so there is no option to bring my vet out (sorry, but way too expensive).

barefoothooves 07-02-2008 02:58 PM

I would soak in epsom salts/warm water for 20 min. a day and re-pack with iodine soaked cotton, then use an easyboot or vetwrap/duct tape hoof wrap, just BELOW the hairline. Punctures are a lot harder to deal with sometimes because they can be hard to judge the depth and sort of close in on themselves,even in a hard hoof!

This really hits home, cause one of my own had a puncture and it took a few weeks for the abscessing to quit. It festered 3-4 times in the same spot, I'd think it was all over and it would drain again, but it's fine, now. Bruised feet that abscesss heal a lot easier and quicker than pucntures.

I'm with you on the not wrapping above the hairline though. Unnecssary.

kitten_Val 07-02-2008 03:08 PM

[quote="barefoothooves"]I would soak in epsom salts/warm water for 20 min. a day and re-pack with iodine soaked cotton, then use an easyboot or vetwrap/duct tape hoof wrap, just BELOW the hairline. Punctures are a lot harder to deal with sometimes because they can be hard to judge the depth and sort of close in on themselves,even in a hard hoof! /quote]

That's what I did with my own horse (plus I also used antibiotic ointment on hole). Wrapping below the hairline is real pain in neck, but that's what I read should be done (to be done correctly). I also was stupid enough to suggest the use of easyboot to that vet (I used it too, the cheap one to save some money on tape) and the vet was kinda mad of me. :( Sorry, I guess I sound pretty mean, but after I've seen the bills they charged my friend. OMG! :shock:

kitten_Val 07-02-2008 03:09 PM

bare.., thanks a lot! :) You are very helpful as always!

barefoothooves 07-02-2008 03:48 PM

Glad to help anytime I can!