The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Am I Wrong? (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/am-i-wrong-109555/)

sierrams1123 01-15-2012 04:58 AM

Am I Wrong?

Today I was talking with one of me deputies, a former horse owner himself, about my new mini, when he asked me how he was doing with my mare.

After telling him about what I thought my mares thoughts were about him I then went on to tell him about when I fed my mare and how he was trying to get her food. He kept inching his way closer and closer and every time he would get a little too close my mare would look at him put her ears back and after he took a few steps back she would go back to eating, finally my mini made his was to her bowl just at the right time that my mare did not notice until he had got a little bite, she then lifted her head turned around and walked off, all the while her head held high almost like she was saying "Well you can have it now, you have tainted it". I then had to run him off her feed and lead her back to it, funny as crap considering she is a beast compared to him.
He then laughed and made the comment "He must have been done with his feed". When I replied with "No, I am not feeding him anything right now" he glared at me like I was committing a crime.
I then went to explain about how I still have grass for grazing and I have free choice salt and mineral blocks and how I am not feeding him anything extra right now because he is 209 lbs and only about 26 inches tall. He still gave me the same look and said that I should still be giving him at least a handful of grain.
I then said I just do not want him to founder, he is getting everything he needs in my opinion and until he looses a little weight I was not going to feed him anything extra and even when I decide he is ready for feed I will give him something very low in fat. He kinda shrugged it off and dropped the subject.

At the time I was not concerned nor did I think I was in the wrong.
I mean not to sound mean or talk bad about one of my guys but he is the kind of horse owner that gets his horses feed in bulk from a small town feed store that mixes their own feed, not that I think its bad but they do not even have a label or anything saying what all is in it and what the fat/protein and all contents are.
He is also very old school and a small minded horse owner, he is one of those horse owners who just decided at an older age he wanted to have some horses in his back yard, so I do not really take anything he says seriously when it comes to the care of my horses, he basically knows nothing when it comes to anything other then the basics.
So like I said I do not value any knowledge he claims to know.
I know this sound really mean and I love him to death as a person, but horse wise I can just tell with in the first 5 minutes of a conversation with someone if they know what they are talking about, come on I know someone understand what I am talking about.

Anyway, but now it kinda has me worried.
I still do not think I am doing anything wrong, and I feel he is getting what he needs to remain healthy, but I would like to get your opinions.
I would like to her from other mini owners.
I have dealt with the up keep with ponies but never really dealt with minis before, although I do not feel like it is all that different from a normal pony I just want to make sure I am as educated as possible.
Thank you in advance.

sierrams1123 01-15-2012 02:12 PM

Bump bump bump!

Skyseternalangel 01-15-2012 03:39 PM

When my horse lived with a Mini, he got his big ol bowl of grain and his 3 flakes of hay, the mini would get half a flake of hay but no grain. He would eat the little tidbits of grain that my horse would drop or during the winter he'd get a small handful just so he'd leave the bigger horses' dinners alone.

Personally I don't see why the Mini should be on grain, unless it's for the nutrients. But you're right, if given too much grain (more than a handful depending, I believe) they can founder.

GhostwindAppaloosa 01-15-2012 03:44 PM

i think you are right. if you did want to grain your mini they make a special feed for them.. minature horse and pony...
Purina Horse Feeds - MINIATURE HORSE & PONY

but nutritionally unless it is a pregnant/nursing mare.. they dont NEED grain

Endiku 01-15-2012 03:50 PM

As long as your grass has the nutrience that he needs in it even now, its perfectly fine to have him just on grass. Watch his weight ofcourse, but 209 is fine for a 26" horse. My 26" gelding weighs in at around 215, and my 34" mare weighs 230. Neither are fat. If he does get a bit thin, just give him some high quality hay. I dont recommend more than 1/3 alfalfa though, as it is very rich for their systems. I would watch him in the spring though, when your grass gets extremely rich, as that can cause him to founder VERY easily. We usually allow our minis less than an hour of grazing daily at that time, and just feed them hay.

As for grain, if you are going to use it- give him about 1/2 a cup of something like Purina Miniature Horse and Pony feed, which is designated for his size. Your local feed shop most likely has just a bunch of sweet feed, which could hutr him.

We feed our miniatures 1 flake of hay each and a handful of grain to those who work or are hard keepers and need extra suppliments. Otherwise they're fine on just the hay.

ETA: Ghostwind beat me to it! haha

NdAppy 01-15-2012 04:17 PM

This is that mini stallion? Please tell me that you aren't leaving them together and that they are only together when someone is with them?

sierrams1123 01-15-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 1309866)
This is that mini stallion? Please tell me that you aren't leaving them together and that they are only together when someone is with them?

Yes, what other mini do I have.

In ref to your other comment, it has nothing to do with the question or this thread. If you are concerned about their pasture situation you can go check out my other post about this mini. Its called Thinking about getting this little guy.
Thanks for nothing.

To everyone else thanks so much, I will look into that feed. I feed the brand to my mare and usually get it from tractor supply. I have never seen that mini/pony feed in the store but they are pretty good about ordering different things so long as they carry the brand.
Feeling much better about everything :)
Also, in ref to the comment about watching him once the grass starts growing again, we are in the prosses of putting up some fencing to make a smaller area where we can keep it more of a dry lot. I don't want to kill a huge area so that's why we are making a smaller area for him.

Endiku 01-15-2012 05:24 PM

Sounds good. All he'll really need is a half acre or an acre of dry lot so he can canter around if he wants without being too cramped. You can also get a grazing muzzle and turn him out to pasture as another option.

atotton 01-15-2012 05:37 PM

In the winter I give my minis each a flake of hay and a 1/3 cup of Purina Miniature feed a day. They always keep in good shape with that amount, not too fat and not too thin.

feistymomma 01-17-2012 12:31 PM

My mini's only get about a 1/2 cup of grain a day, a 1/2 cup of alfalfa pellets and a flake of hay. The only reason I give them grain is because they are stalled next to my dairy goats so I feel bad when I feed them their grain. They do NOT need grain. Dry lots, and hay is sufficiant for minis.