Introducing your horse to electric wire fencing
We are putting electric wire on my fencing for the first time in my horses life. My gelding decided that since he was a champion jumper and not the old, lazy guy he has always been, it has become a necessity. However, I am not sure how to introduce both my horses to this. I am not too comfortable being on the other end of a lead rope as they get zapped for the first time, in case they go ballistic. But I also don't want him to never get zapped and try to jump the fence again. We also raised it up about a foot, but he WAY cleared the fence the first time, and not sure if he could clear this. How do I go about making sure they KNOW it will zap them, without ME introducing it to them?
First of all, I tied bright pink/yellow stuff to the wire, so the horses could see there was something there.
Then I just let them in the enclosure and let them learn for themselves. My pony decided he'd sniff the wire. Bad idea. He got zapped, ran around like a ******, then continued to cut my grass.
My mare never actually has touched the wire. She just doesn't touch fences unless they're wood that she can scratch on or if there's reeeeeally good grass on the other side.
Yes, definitely make it visible by adding some colored tape or something. A fear I always had was that my horse would spook and try to run into it, rather than turning away. To prevent this we put the hot-fence a couple feet in front of a solid fence so that they would learn not to touch it, but not have to risk having them get caught up in it. Then, after that we put it up where we needed it.
First time my mare touched it, it gave her such a scare that she dropped to her knees!
We raised the fencing with some highly visible white plastic posts (almost like plastic t posts) and will be running the wire through that. I am hoping he will introduce himself to this before he tries to go over again.
We never introduced it to our horses, we just let them figure it out on their own and never had a problem. I personally would not want to be too close when they discovered it because I have seen so many different reactions its best to be safe out of the way.
Let them figure it out.. you don't want them to associate the shock with you. Tie old carrot sacks to them, or something wiggly and bright, let them loose. If the touch it, they'll probably goof about a bit, but they'll get over it... stomach rules over everything!
my horses and cattle ONLY know electric fences. they learn quick. my new mare had come from wooden fences and i just turned her out and i reckon she learned not to touch it. an electric fence is a mental barrier not a physical barrier. eventually you can basically turn the fence off and they wont go anywhere. i constantly forget to turn mine back on and nobody goes anywhere.
when installing the grounding rod make sure you do not put it in a spot that is prone to having standing water or water in it. the wet ground amplifies the shock. i've seen a 1500 lb bull go down bec the owner grounded the wire in a spot that constantly had water.
Okay, first off, be fair. Make it visible. I have yellow ties on mine.
Secondly, grab a camera and wait, because its going to be freaking hysterical to watch.
I sound like a sadist :lol:
Ok...maybe a silly question..but.....so, my husband has finished the electric wire, and the little light on the solar box is blinking indicating it is working,...but, how do you test it? I mean, how do I KNOW it is working without putting my gelding out there, finding out it isn't working and seeing him jump the fence again? It didn't come with any tester, and of course neither of us is willing to touch it! lol. Suggestions?
Quit being a baby & touch it!!! Or you could suck your horse into touching to make sure he knows what will happen....yeah, mybad I did that.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0