The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelhams

940 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bubba13 
#1 ·
Hello, all. I have been lurking around the forums as a guest for a while and have decided to join. :)

My first question is, how does a pelham work? I know that you ride with double reins and there is a curb chain that sits above the horse's lip but don't understand the motion and the difference between a snaffle (this being the only bit that I have ridden in).

Thankyou for any help!

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Instead of retype this all out in my own words, I'll quote JDI from her English bit sticky:

For experienced riders only. Uses curb chain action on the horse’s chin. The bridle attaches to the uppermost ring, the snaffle rein attaches to the big ring, the curb rein attaches to the little loosering. The idea with the Pelham is to ride on the snaffle rein 98% of the time, and just “tweak” the curb rein as needed for a little extra “listen to me” power communicated to the horse. A relatively mild bit when used correctly, by that I mean the rider should stay on the snaffle rein only most of the time; the curb rein should not be used in excess. Many riders misuse this bit and/or have a hard time figuring out 4 reins, which is why I labelled it “experienced riders only.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.