The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique my position (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-my-position-109611/)

Marlea Warlea 01-15-2012 06:30 PM

Critique my position

1 Attachment(s)
I think i've improved HEAPS from last time, i know I still have a bit to work on but yea
BTW these photos were taken a while ago, like maybe 2 months ago?

Oxer 01-15-2012 08:27 PM

shorter stirrups and hands out of your lap.

Derry girl 01-15-2012 08:41 PM

Firstly well done that your getting into jumping, it can be great fun.

Do you have an instructor? If not it might be best if you want to get in to jumping to book yourself a lesson maybe a few times a month.
Yey, I think you need to take your striups up about 2 or3 holes, lift yours hands, they seem to be sitting around the front of the saddle, let them follow the horses neck, you dont want to jab your horse in the mouth by not allowing with your hands.. and theres no need to be so high out of the saddle either, its just a small jump, For a jump this size you could get away with lifting yourself 4/5 inches of the seat, and have more of a bend at the hip...one other thing, youv quite alot of foot in the striup with your heels up, this can really affect your balance, keep your lower leg slightly behind when jumping with your heels right down

Post some more pics, let us see how your coming along!
Good luck :-)

kcscott85 01-15-2012 08:50 PM

Yes, shorter stirrups and higher hands. But thereís more. You are jumping waaaaaaay ahead, and it is apparent by the way your leg is nearly straight. This is a small jump, you donít need to jump ­for your horse- you just need to stay out of her (he/she?) way. By getting ahead of her, all you are doing is making it harder for your horse to get up and over because she has to compensate for your weight on her front end. When you get to the big jumps (4 ft+), you will want to be more forward, but for these types of jumps, all you want is to go into more of a half seat, making sure to stay with your horseís center of gravity. When she jumps, you need to let her close your hip angles (so make sure theyíre not locked!). Donít throw your body forward, donít lie on her neck.
As for your hands, they need to be much, much higher. You are popping her in the mouth and not releasing to allow her to stretch over the jump. Not fixing this will sour her to jumping because sheíll associate it with pain in her mouth.
Good news is your head is up and you are looking forward. Thatís very important and something a lot of riders struggle with. Keep it up!

justjump 01-15-2012 09:19 PM

I agree with all of the above posts, definitely shorten the stirrups. Really work on sinking your weight down into your heels. Warm up by standing in your stirrups, that will help a ton!

Also, you need to pull your hands up over the crest of his neck to allow more of a release to your horses face. Work on bending at the hips, and allowing your horse to come to you. As I tell everyone who asks for a critique, try watching other successful equitation and hunter riders on youtube. I cant stress enough how much that has helped me develop into a better rider. I'm just very visual :)

Good luck! You'll be a fantastic rider one day, all it takes is time :)!

Jumpehunter 01-15-2012 09:23 PM

Well your 2point is a little big for this size of a fence. you really don't need to get out of the saddle that much I can see you have a loop in your reigns but your hands are down by the withers. shorten up and then bring the hands up about 3-4 inches.

Marlea Warlea 01-17-2012 04:12 AM

Thanks everyone!
I went for a ride with my (very experienced) friend the other day who told me i need to bend at the hips, and RELEASE RELEASE RELEASE!
I'm pretty amazed my beautiful pony hasn't gotten pissed off with me yet lol.
I'm entering her in show jumping on feburary the 4th in 40cm, 50cm and 60cm, I hope all goes smoothly, fingers crossed!

Allison Finch 01-17-2012 02:55 PM

Bend at the hips? yes. But, your butt needs to move back towards the middle of your saddle, not be in front of it. You need to relax the KNEES and bend there, too. See how bent my knees are in my avatar compared to yours?

Marlea Warlea 01-18-2012 01:59 AM

3 Attachment(s)
More photos, i think my butt looks better yes?
And i know i still need to release lol

Skyseternalangel 01-18-2012 02:09 AM

From your most recent pictures... you need to bend those knees more but it looks better. You just need to make sure you are directly over your saddle and bending at the hips.. not leaning forward then bending at your hips (I'm strictly talking about 2-point not jumping as I have no experience with that.)