The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Horse Trailer Cover (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/horse-trailer-cover-109660/)

SF77 01-16-2012 02:06 AM

Horse Trailer Cover

Does anyone have any recommendations on horse trailer covers? I need to buy one but there doesn't seem to be many choices. I have found the Beverly Bay covers and then the one from Dover. I am also worried about the size. They both say that they fit most standard bumper pull trailers. Mine is extra tall though.

I live in California so it doesn't rain a lot but I want to keep it dry during the winter and protect it from the sun the rest of the year.

waresbear 01-16-2012 02:33 AM

contact the company and give the measurements of your trailer. Ask them if their covers will fit your trailer. Keep the email.

Red Gate Farm 01-16-2012 03:58 AM

If you cannot find one, regular tarps come in all sizes, so there would be one out there to drape over your trailer. Also, you can buy those carport modulars. If not tall enough, build a little wall and mount in on top of the wall.

SF77 01-16-2012 04:04 AM

I have actually had a tarp before and it worked out great. After two years it got some holes though so I figured that maybe it was time to buy a real cover. :) Especially since it is a lot easier taking off and putting on a cover rather than a tarp.

Saddlebag 01-16-2012 08:22 PM

Please get a breathable tarp. Cool nights can create moisture which gets trapped under a regular plastic tarp. It's best to let air blow through the trailer to help keep it dry. If parking it on dirt or gravel, put down old sheets of plywood so grass doesn't try to grow up around the frame. And be sure to lift your mats as they trap moisture from the ground that seeps between the boards.

kitten_Val 01-16-2012 08:36 PM

Beverly Bay cover was ripped in 1st winter I used it. Absolute junk IMHO. Much cheaper to get a big tarp and cover the trailer with it.

kitten_Val 01-16-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1311563)
Please get a breathable tarp. Cool nights can create moisture which gets trapped under a regular plastic tarp. It's best to let air blow through the trailer to help keep it dry.

I left the space between the door and the bottom opened when I used the tarp.