The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Keeping your lovely horses warm? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/keeping-your-lovely-horses-warm-109682/)

Jumper4ever 01-16-2012 11:15 AM

Keeping your lovely horses warm?

So i know there are threads about keeping the rider warm while riding in the winter, but what about the animals carrying us in the single digits? I know when it is super cold out and i just wanna have fun i'll hop on bareback over the blanket and ride like that, but i worry about shoulder rubs/overheating. I am a big beleiver in quarter sheets. Also.. i am one of those people that loves putting boots on their horses. whenever i ride my mare in pretty much any weather whether it be lessons pony rides hacking or jumping i like to boot her up. i worry in the winter though about snow getting into the boots. boots or no boots in the winter?

lubylol 01-16-2012 12:26 PM

Hmmmm. I'd say no boots. If there's snow on the ground, you shouldn't be doing enough vigorious activity for your horse to need them.

If your worried about her getting cold, you could always use polos. But please make sure you learn how to properly apply them beforehand. Youtube is your friend!
Posted via Mobile Device

mildot 01-16-2012 12:28 PM

Single digits?

She'll be in the barn with her heaviest blanket on and I'll be home drinking bourbon by the fireplace.

Turndial 01-16-2012 12:34 PM

lol mildot, right there with you. Hubby says skiing I say 'I'll be at the cabin by the fire drinking a hot chocolate waiting for you'

on topic though, England is cold.. correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe horse's necessarily need to be kept warm, they acclimatise to the conditions they live in. Plus, they have their own personal central heating system!

crimsonsky 01-16-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lubylol (Post 1311024)
Hmmmm. I'd say no boots. If there's snow on the ground, you shouldn't be doing enough vigorious activity for your horse to need them.

If your worried about her getting cold, you could always use polos. But please make sure you learn how to properly apply them beforehand. Youtube is your friend!
Posted via Mobile Device

i wouldn't polo wrap if you're riding in snow - think about how they're going to get wet and sag, etc. just not a safe bet imo.

if you have boots that are designed more for eventing where they are meant to stay in place regardless of use or weather, then i see no reason not to boot.

its lbs not miles 01-17-2012 12:24 AM

Mother nature gave my horses all they need to survive Wnter :)

No blankets and free access to come in out of the weather if they want, which I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen them do that in a year (although I've seen them stand under a shed during a couple excessivelly heavy rains, but even that was rare. They don't tend to like anything with walls...unless I put food inside it :))

waresbear 01-17-2012 12:28 AM

It's freakin' close to 40 below right now, my horses are prolly out in the pasture under a thick stand of fir trees. They have a run in shed, they only go in there to poop & pee on the shavings if I put clean stuff in.

its lbs not miles 01-17-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1312050)
It's freakin' close to 40 below right now, my horses are prolly out in the pasture under a thick stand of fir trees. They have a run in shed, they only go in there to poop & pee on the shavings if I put clean stuff in.

Pretty good evidence that horses know what they need. Tends to be the common theme with most equines. "Keep your shelters and blankets....we'll do better with what nature gave us". :lol:

NeuroticMare 01-17-2012 11:46 AM

Mine live in a heated barn with blankets on, if I ride when it's very cold, I use a quarter sheet, out arena is insulated but not heated, so if it's very very cold, I don't ride, just hang out with the horses in the heated barn :)

I got a very cool quarter sheet from Smart Pak, it can go under the saddle like a I normal one, or around the riders legs, very comfy! I've also been known to ride with a large square cooler wrapped around my shoulder, but my mare finds that terrifying, my gelding thinks we're super heros and digs it.

Saddlebag 01-17-2012 05:00 PM

Horses that don't have to breathe barn air are healthier even when we feel the cold. They grow as much coat as they need. Snow is a terrible abrasive so it's best not to use boots. Blanketing often causes a horse to overheat and it packs his hair down which then loses it's insulating properties. The overheating often leads to the chills.