The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Adequan (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/adequan-109703/)

smilin1590 01-16-2012 04:25 PM

Adequan

So I figured I'd leave this up here and see if others have had similar problems with their horses. My horse seemed to be off in his front right, vet nerve blocked him and nothing, he flexed his back right and sure enough he trotted off lame. It's not terrible lameness but noticeable enough. Anyway, he took x-rays and he saw a little dark spot in his back hock. He thought it shouldn't be a big deal and injected him with some HA. We rested him for 5 days, tested him again, still lame but not as bad. So he said we should try adequan injections since he's older and there was a tiny bit showing up in his hock on the xrays. What do you all think about adequan, and do you think it will help my boys slight lameness problem?

mlkuhn12 01-16-2012 04:38 PM

I've used adequan on my horse it did help him for a while but after I think two years he was lame with adequan so we then stopped using it. But my horse was different he has a mystery lameness that we think is in his shoulder but when we were working with the vets they never totally figured it out.

DrDeeDC 01-17-2012 02:38 AM

Ad

I have used it and it worked great. Worth the money for the results compared to other products.

smilin1590 01-17-2012 09:34 AM

Ok well I've been hearing some great things about this stuff. I give him his first dose today. Don't know how fast it's supposed to work but I'm hoping relatively fast. How soon after should I lunge him or ride him to see if he's still lame?

~*~anebel~*~ 01-17-2012 11:24 AM

Adequan has to build up in the system. It basically imitates cartilage in the joint and slowly helps to re build it.
The manufacturer recommends that you give one dose every 4 days for 7 times. This is how my vet has me administer it as well in my horse who is sound. We do it as a preventative, so right before my winter training and right before my show season and sometimes once more in the show season we will do a "round" of adequan (so 7 shots, one every 4 days). I find it works very well as a preventative and keeps my horse really sound.

I would try him again after about 3 to 4 doses to see if he is sounder, and continue to do them until you've done 7 and hopefully the whole round will help him. You won't see full results until you've done all 7.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

pattyschuler 01-17-2012 11:56 PM

My horse just had OCD surgery in his rear stifle. He actually had 2 lesions and a subcondral bone cyst that was removed. Last Thursday he had stem cell therapy. The vet injected stem cels directly into the joint where the bone cyst was removed. We were told that out of all the joint supplaments Adequan is the best. He wants us to start a regimen of 7-10 injections 5-7 days apart. One of my frined had her horse on adequan and it worked well for him. He also had a stifle issue. Have you asked your vet what the shadow on his hock could be. I am finding out that OCD is very common and it looks like a shadow in the joint.