The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Brought home my first horse yesterday. advice anyone? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/brought-home-my-first-horse-yesterday-109736/)

bnayc 01-16-2012 07:28 PM

Brought home my first horse yesterday. advice anyone?

Hey guys im happy to say that I just brought home my first horse yesterday. He is a 12 year old qh and is 14.3 hands. I had lots of time to prepare for his arrival. I would like to know what advice a more experienced horse owner has about getting a new horse. I know it will take some time for him to adjust but im still worried. What should I watch out for? What kinds of things are good to do for a new horse? Whats bad? Please let me know all your thoughts!
thanks

Country Woman 01-16-2012 07:33 PM

a shelter, access to water and food.
a field or paddock warm straw for a bed
halter lead rope and other tack

Congratulations with your new horse
would love to see some pictures
Welcome to the forum

Roperchick 01-16-2012 07:34 PM

hopefully you already have a vet and farrier lined up for him? if not i would ask around for whos good and get your horse on their lists.
just take the time to get to know him and his quirks, dont rush into competitions and extreme things go slow and learn each other and how youll respond! and HAVE FUN! thats the most important thing!

harryclifford 01-16-2012 07:37 PM

Well, getting a first horse is scary!! When we got ours, a 13.2hh pony, we spent months worrying if he'd settled. Truth be told, it took him all of 2 days ;)
Just make sure you handle him right and safely, and try not to expect him to be magical when you first get on, give him a few days :) and if he's new to your yard, just handle a bit careful for a while to get used to him, and make sure you stay safe.
Other than that, just enjoy your new friend!!!! :D
Oh, and you don't have to listen to any nosey onlookers that seem to appear out of thin air at the sight of a new horse. Just politely tell them to shut it :)
Posted via Mobile Device

bnayc 01-16-2012 07:44 PM

yeah he has a huge stall that he can enter at any time from his 3 acre pasture. And i also have already spoken with a good equine vet and talked with the farrier. Im so nervous for him! right now he doesnt have a pasture mate. He can see other horses across the street and they get along great, but I still feel like hes lonely

FeatheredFeet 01-16-2012 07:50 PM

Congrats on your new horse.

First thing, is to make sure you have strong and high fencing. No barbed wired, uncapped T posts. Horses in a new place, to often try to jump fencing to try to return to the home they previously knew and old buddies.

If you know what he was eating before, stay with that until and if, you decide to change. Has he been wormed? Has all his necessary shots?

Maybe post a pic or two here for others to see how his condition is. Could be he is overweight or underweight. Forum members will probably be able to advise you.

Lizzie

bnayc 01-16-2012 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yes he is utd on all shots and vaccinations and had a wormer last month. Here is a side view picture. let me know what you guys think!

Country Woman 01-16-2012 08:34 PM

Just what Lizzie said
is he a gelding

Country Woman 01-16-2012 08:36 PM

he looks very nice
good luck

waresbear 01-16-2012 08:38 PM

My best advice to you is to keep a big pile money around. You're gonna need it. Other than that, enjoy your horse, it's money well spent.