The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (
-   -   Leg Support Help (

Southern Belle 01-16-2012 10:15 PM

Leg Support Help
My horse bowed his tendon a few years ago, and has had to use leg support ever since then. Currently i use SMB Elites, but i like the look of polo wraps better. My trainer said his injury would probably never happen again, and i jump in shows at 2'9 w out them. Would it be ok to use polo wraps then for schooling?
Posted via Mobile Device

Klassic Superstar 01-16-2012 10:21 PM

I would be very careful, nice a horse bows a tendon it can be re injured again, ESP if your wrapping wrong, to tight, any wrinkles ect

Saying he would probably never do this again is not true, depends on how bad it was of course but I would be very careful.

striebwasser 07-28-2015 12:55 PM

be careful

beau159 07-28-2015 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Southern Belle (Post 1311755)
and has had to use leg support ever since then.

If you actually read the research behind "support boots" and polo wraps, neither of them give hardly any actual support to the foot. Sport boots support slightly more than polo wraps (talking single digit percentages more) but in the grand scheme of things they are probably only going to support 15% or less.

Of course, I use sport boots on my own horses but not really for the purpose of support. They are cheap insurance against flesh injuries. I can replace a boot much easier than I can heal horse flesh.

Here's a thread I wrote up a while back about the topic.

And it still applies because Professional's Choice STILL has the exact same stats on their own website. They are stats they are drawing from the 1998 study. I sure wish they'd run a new study.

I would still use some sort of boots if I were you (whether that's polos or boots) but make sure you know how to properly wrap a polo is that's what you choose. Other things you can do for your horse:
-Make sure feet are trimmed properly. Long toe/Low heel tends to re-bow tendons (or bow them in the first place)
-Make sure your horse is conditioned well for the exercise. Fatigue is NOT a good thing.
-Make sure you do a long warm up and long cool down. Turnout is better than being stalled.
-Cold therapy after exercise.