The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Heart rate recovering training?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/heart-rate-recovering-training-109749/)

Monty77 01-16-2012 09:18 PM

Heart rate recovering training??

Howdy,
I'm working on getting my horse ready for this season of endurance racing, this will be his first full year, and mine after taking a several year break. He has the nice low resting heart rate, a big trot, and a rediculasly competitive attitude. But, I don't think he has a very good recovery time. I haven't done an testing yet to see how long it takes him to get to resting and he seems to take a longish time to get his respiration rate back to resting after a long lope. Are there any ways I can help improve his recovery time, or do I just have to work with I've got??? Any advice welcomed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 01-16-2012 10:00 PM

its pretty much a function of cardio fitness. While all horses are gonna be different, he's gonna pulse down based on temperature and fitness level. Is he having heat issues ? Drinking enough ? electrolyte levels? Is he fat ?

Monty77 01-16-2012 10:17 PM

I think he is at a perfect weight. He is one of the best drinkers I have ever worked with and he doesn't get too hot. It must be cardio fitness. He tends to get really out of breath when we canter, should I just do more canter work???
Posted via Mobile Device

Monty77 01-18-2012 08:07 AM

Should I be working him at a specific heart rate???
Posted via Mobile Device

wetrain17 01-18-2012 08:27 AM

The best way to improve stamina, hills. Start slow. Dont expect your horse to canter up steep hills right away. I would start with walking (especially nice Im sure your ground is frozen right now) you would be surprise at how much walking can help, then move to trot sets, then canter sets.

mls 01-18-2012 10:15 AM

What is his worming schedule? Worms in the lungs can reduce lung capacity.

Monty77 01-18-2012 09:31 PM

I worm him four times a year, so basically at the start of every season.
Hills that's a good idea. The weather here has been really weird so everything is frozen one minutes and the next it's ten degrees out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brighteyes 01-18-2012 09:42 PM

I've found that gallop/canter interger training works great for cardio. Get into a nice canter and hold for five minutes (more or less depending on his condition). Bring him into a gallop (a bit beyond a hand gallop, but not full out... 60 or 70 percent). Hold this speed for a minute, then bring him down into a steady canter. Repeat several times. You know your horse; you should know how much he can take. As an endurance rider, you know about the limit -- the threshhold between not pushing hard enough and over working an unconditioned horse. The limit is different for each horse in each stage of fitness.

After this, have him stand perfectly still for 10 minutes. Take his pulse. Focus mostly on pulse; respiration has a lot more to do with heat than fitness (not saying it doesn't have anything to do with fitness though!) If he is down near resting (8-12 beats per 15 seconds), perfect. You can push him a little harder next time if you think he's ready.

If he doesn't recover and is over 14 beats, wait another 5 minutes. If he isn't at resting by than, you pushed the cardio just a bit too hard. Not a lot too hard, just a bit.

If he's over 17 beats on the first count, you're going to hard. If he's over 17 or so after 20 minutes, waaaaaay too hard. Dangerously hard.

MyBoyPuck 01-19-2012 08:49 PM

I've noticed with the mild winter we are having, the horses who grew thick coats in anticipation of winter become winded very easily, even the very fit ones. I think even the ones who don't grow visible winter coats are still holding more body heat than we would think they do. Are you have a warmer winter up there this year?

Monty77 01-20-2012 07:54 AM

Yeah. On average it's been around +3 degrees Celsius. And it doesn't help that Freddy has grown a decent coat. It's finally starting to get cold, it's -12 degrees Celsius when I got up, but it's suppose to go back up to 9.
Posted via Mobile Device