The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Anyone else own a nosey horse...? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/anyone-else-own-nosey-horse-109775/)

DuffyDuck 01-17-2012 05:05 AM

Anyone else own a nosey horse...?

Just curious :D

Duffy is a monster at destroying, unearthing, moving, tipping- anything you like. She is so nosey!

When i groom her she empties everything out one by one, or tips the grooming box over- depends on the day.

She once got a rubber curry comb and was pawing it over and over -head desk-

She manages to find all the dusty spots and proceeds to use her nose to wipe it clean, then sneeze it over me.

Over the weekend she picked up a bag of shavings, looked dead pleased, then the bag broke.

Anyone else's horses have this sort of playful, nosey, inquisitive nature?

usandpets 01-17-2012 06:13 AM

We have two. One that is the playful type and one that is too curious for her own good.

Copper will play with everything. He will pull anything out of your back pocket when cleaning his front hooves. My wife taught him when we got him that a closed bucket has treats. She thought it was cute when he tried to open it. Now he thinks any closed container has treats in it. He'll play with anything. One thing he does that is somewhat helpful is open a cooler and hand you a drink, lol.

We got Lucy when she was 6 weeks old. We started right away exposing her to anything and everything to desensitize her. Now she wants to check everything out. The first time we had our little dogs with us in the pasture, she chased them around trying to check them out. Just recently, there was a styrofoam cup blowing thru the pasture. Most horses would ignore it or spook from it. Not her. She went right up to it and started pushing it around sniffing it. Finally she grabbed it and took a bite out of it. Luckily, I got the piece out of her mouth before she could eat it.
Posted via Mobile Device

DuffyDuck 01-17-2012 06:17 AM

Glad its not only me!

My dad's mare does what we call her sniffer dog impression... when you go to get her out of her box, she'll nuzzle you all down your legs, your arms, your back, your bum... then satisfied, she'll let you crack on!

Must try and teach the cooler trick, mind you... make for great beer and pizza nights at the yard in summer!

Its the look on Duffy's face when she's covered in cobwebs... swear she grins, and then trying to brush it off, she looks like a toddler whos mum just licked a thumb to wipe off mush on their faces!

The best ones she does is in a halt.

trainer'Halt at X'

Me... trot trot trot, halt.

Duffy... turn around, ask if we REALLY have to do this, and whilst my owner is fuming and trying to straighten me, drool all over clean boots/add a nibble in for show.

Character!

Saranda 01-17-2012 06:35 AM

YES! Snikers is just like this. I call him a trickster. :) His nose is all over the place - moving combs and brushes, opening lids, trying to steal different objects, carrying a lead line, picking up and carrying a branch...while we're trail riding!, sniffing my hair, trying to open and opening my shirt (he loves zippers and velcros!), chewing on lead lines and saddles, swinging whips, opening his stall dor, switching on and off radios and lights! When he was a yearling he even managed to pick a TRUCK apart, that was left by his pasture! Also, when drinking, he likes taking a larger sip and then drolling it over my head, stealing hats from heads (cowboy hats are a favourite!), nuzzling all over me and basically doing every possible and impossible thing a horse can do with his teeth and lips. Oh, I love him so. :)

lubylol 01-17-2012 07:39 AM

Cowboy is so nosey! I cheated and invested in a nice rock salt lick for the stall ;)

He will always rade my box for the treats, he'll tip my box over, chew on the neighbor's boxes, and lick the stall and door.

It used to bother me but I got over it and learned it was his personality.

There was one time he grabbed my chapstick off my box and I freaked out (I have an addiction -___-) and went to grab it out of his mouth and he bit my finger, woops ;-)

I have to say the salt lick doesn't work too good. He barely licks it, and still tries to get my box :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

usandpets 01-17-2012 08:31 AM

We have another horse that likes to play with his food bowl. The bowl is rubber, about 3 feet in diameter, and holds around 5 gallons. It's a good sized and heavy bowl. He'll pick it up, and either carry it around or toss it around. We had a smaller one for him which he would shake it and hand it to you when he was done. I think he was trying to tell us he was done and wanted more.

He also licks everything. We tease that he is part dog.
Posted via Mobile Device

muumi 01-17-2012 08:45 AM

I have a young mare who can find a carrot anywhere: in my back pocket, in my zipped up handbag, on windowsills above her eye level, inside a closed tack box... Its not like I hide things for her to find, and play a game with her. I dont. But wherever i try keep treats out of the way, and hide them in a safe place to save them for later, and turn my back for juuust a second, she has already quietly snuck off and found them.

She is uncanny.

feistymomma 01-17-2012 08:52 AM

Reno, my thoroughbred, digs in my pockets for treats, and then follows me around with his head in my back! Last night I was standing there watching him eat his feed and reached up and grabbed the zipper of my coats and started pulling up on it like he was trying to zip my coat up some more. He also will pick his feed pan up and move it to where "he" wants to eat.....He can be a pest!!

MHFoundation Quarters 01-17-2012 09:04 AM

Yep, I have 2. Woodstock is the resident Dennis the Menace. I have to lock the walk through door on the barn or he opens it and lets the herd in. He can untie himself, he moves my pylons, barrels, or anything else I leave in the arena - so if I'm missing a lunge line or whip, he's always the first suspect. He also plays fetch, we play with milk jugs or the dog's retrieving dummies. He also likes to turn lights on & off.

Missy is nosey but only by way of food motivation. I bring her in at night and she gets the whole indoor to herself. If I don't double chain the gate at the front that connects to the barn aisle, she undoes it and will be happily hanging out in the hay bay munching her happy little heart out. (Even though she has her own stash in the indoor) That happened twice when I first brought her home, the 2nd time she did eat a few rabbit pellets, glad the tub was pretty much empty.

Jacksmama 01-17-2012 09:15 AM

Jack is bad too,lol. If he gets the comb in his mouth he proceeds to comb the hitching post, tries to pull things out of your pocket, has pulled hair ties out of my hair. He is like a baby and wants to put everything in his mouth. When he was a foal we put a big blue plastic barrel in with him and the other foals and while the rest are all running scared from it Jack walks right over, sniffs and starts chewing. He unlocks gates, pulls down buckets, flips light switches, anything and everything he really shouldn't do,lol.