The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Asking horse to use her backend and maintaing a nice outline (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/asking-horse-use-her-backend-maintaing-109794/)

Minime 01-17-2012 10:20 AM

Asking horse to use her backend and maintaing a nice outline

Hi There. Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on getting my horse to (a) Start using her backend and (b) getting her into a nice outline. Currently she is very heavy on the forehand and i struggle to work her into an outline shes only 5. I know its prob something that im doing incorrectly and isnt her fault so any advice would be great. thanks
:lol:

crimsonsky 01-17-2012 12:49 PM

1. trainer :wink:
2. read up as much as you can
3. trainer/lessons for you so that you can learn how to ask and what right feels like (if you don't already know - just guessing by your post that you're new(er) to this)

mildot 01-17-2012 05:10 PM

I ran across this yesterday and I found it very useful.

In fact, I based my entire schooling session last night on low and long and had a much more relaxed and forward horse as a result.

Minime 01-17-2012 05:38 PM

Thank you will defentaly try
Posted via Mobile Device

caseymyhorserocks 01-21-2012 01:03 AM

Develop a feel for your horse's movement. Follow with your seat and reins. Emphasize the movement of your horse going forward with your pelvic bone.

kitten_Val 01-21-2012 09:05 AM

Good dressage trainer. Videos and reading are not very helpful without the eye/help from the ground. At least in my experience.

FirstLightFarm 01-21-2012 10:04 AM

My horse Houdini did this at first. My instructor taught me how to ask him to engage his hindquarters and reach under himself while lunging him in his tack. Then once he had the idea of what I wanted, and once I knew, from seeing it on the ground, how to tell when he was using himself properly, we transitioned to asking him to do this under saddle.

Have you asked your mare to engage her hindquarters on the lunge without a rider? She's young and it will probably be easier for her to do this on the lunge first without a rider on her back.

Moei 02-01-2012 09:25 PM

i also need help getting my horse off the forehand, how do you ask them on the lunge line?