The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Nervous (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/nervous-10982/)

HooverH 07-03-2008 06:27 AM

Nervous

Me again...

Recently, I have been getting unreasonably nervous, even on the ground, around horses. Nothing has happened to cause me to act this way, other than I've been having control issues with Hoover in saddle. You see, he's had three months ground training with my instructor and switched to a hack. I'm still trying to control him the way he needed before the training and when he was on a full cheek snaffle. He's got a lot of education on me right now. :lol:

Anyone have any advice for getting over being nervous? My instructor says I'm trying too hard and worrying too much about getting everything perfect. I'm sitting too stiff with my upper body and arms, and tending to lean forward without knowing I'm doing it. It's making the horse under me nervous, which in turn is making me more nervous. I keep thinking about what could happen. Help me, please. I'm getting really frustrated with myself.

Vidaloco 07-03-2008 07:12 AM

Just keep riding as much as possible and don't forget to breath. Trust me, it will pass with time in general and time in the saddle.
After I fell and broke my back my confidence was in the toilet. I thought I would never be able to relax again. I was doing all the things you described, sitting forward, tense upper body etc. Heck my whole body was tense :lol: every misstep I freaked.
Your not alone, I think everyone goes through this at some point if you spend enough time in the saddle.

Artellomylove467 07-03-2008 10:58 AM

calm down trust me the horse is not trying to kill you. he has no intention of doing so. relax..... relax your body but don't slump. also do not be afraid to fall off. it happens to any rider multiple times. ive been bucked off and everything. oh and one more thing if ur nervous the horse will know and he will get nervous.

Artellomylove467

your not a rider until you've fallen off and tasted dirt- michele sult horse trainer

Jubilee Rose 07-03-2008 11:37 AM

I definitely know what this is like and I think every rider experiences this at one time or another. I agree that the more time you ride and spend around horses, things will get better. Don't let your fear take over your love for riding. Just get in the saddle anyway and ride ride ride! Don't worry about things being perfect, just have fun and relax!

Hope things turn around for you. :)

iridehorses 07-03-2008 01:21 PM

As funny as this may sound, when I'm at a competition, I take 2 Tylenol when I get there. I find that it takes the edge off before the run. I work at consciously controlling my breathing as well.

I've told this to my daughter (she plays semi-pro pool) and it seems to work for her too.