The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   My "Art Journal" (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/my-art-journal-109851/)

Snizard93 01-17-2012 09:22 PM

My "Art Journal"

Okay guys so as you may or may not know, I used to draw back when I was in school. I took Art for a GCSE and if I say so myself, I was pretty good at it! I havn't drawn properly since then and I really want to get back into it.

As some of you may or may not have seen, on a previous thread I posted a picture of an eye (horse) because it is known this is the major part of any drawing. I have since been practicing my eyes and I think I have improved a lot.

This "journal" is more for me than anything else, but of course I would much appreciate kind words of criticism. And, the fact that some people care what I post about means something too!

There won't be much going on here really, I am bogged down with coursework and other boring things.

First couple of posts to follow :lol:

Snizard93 01-17-2012 09:23 PM

Arabian mare

Ok guys, first horse in a long time! I'm not totally happy and I don't think it's finished. So if you can offer any help/advice to really lift this mare off the page, please feel free!

http://i44.tinypic.com/2qats81.jpg

Snizard93 01-17-2012 09:25 PM

My boyfriends dog

Here is a drawing I did a couple of weeks ago. It is in pen. It did take me quite a long time! His mum was very happy with it, bless her.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2gy3p0y.jpg

Snizard93 01-17-2012 09:27 PM

Barn Owl

My boyfriends dad is obsessed with Barn Owls, so I drew this for him a few weeks ago. To be honest, I really don't like it, he did though! It is pretty crappy, done in pen and only took me about 20 minutes I think!

http://i40.tinypic.com/14b3syo.jpg

Snizard93 01-17-2012 09:53 PM

May I also note that the Arabian Mare looks a lot better in real life! My phone camera is really crappy so has totally washed the drawing out. The lines are much cleaner, and some are much darker. There is many more tones and shades than the camera has picked up :twisted:

tinyliny 01-17-2012 10:27 PM

Hi Snizard,

I like the dog best, then the owl and last the mare. Why? because to me it's not about accuracy, but whether or not the drawing has "punch" and "feel".
When I see the dog, the drawing is brave in it's use of texture and dark/light contrast and there is character in the dog's face.
The owl , had strong attration to the eyes and it's offset placement on the page is also attractive. It would be lovely with the faintest hint of color from color pencils.

The mare is pretty stylized and , to me, somewhat impersonal. I cannot say why. Maybe it's that everything on her is treated with a softness , except for the eye, which is really nicely done, the rest of it just doesnt' have "punch".
The ears are too small and they don't come out of the poll area quite right. They narrow down a lot at the point where they leave the body.

The muzzle is beautifully rendered, though the head feels a bit long overall.

You are just working on getting back up to speed. Don't fall in love with any drawing, do it, enjoy it a bit and move on to a new one. Every "ride" makes a better rider.

Snizard93 01-17-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1313255)
Hi Snizard,

I like the dog best, then the owl and last the mare. Why? because to me it's not about accuracy, but whether or not the drawing has "punch" and "feel".
When I see the dog, the drawing is brave in it's use of texture and dark/light contrast and there is character in the dog's face.
The owl , had strong attration to the eyes and it's offset placement on the page is also attractive. It would be lovely with the faintest hint of color from color pencils.

The mare is pretty stylized and , to me, somewhat impersonal. I cannot say why. Maybe it's that everything on her is treated with a softness , except for the eye, which is really nicely done, the rest of it just doesnt' have "punch".
The ears are too small and they don't come out of the poll area quite right. They narrow down a lot at the point where they leave the body.

The muzzle is beautifully rendered, though the head feels a bit long overall.

You are just working on getting back up to speed. Don't fall in love with any drawing, do it, enjoy it a bit and move on to a new one. Every "ride" makes a better rider.

Hi tinyliny, thanks for taking the time to have a look!

I know what you mean about the softness of the mare. It doesn't look that soft in person, my phone camera has washed a lot of the dark shading out making it look flat, like you say. Now that you have mentioned it, I can see what you mean about the ears too. If only my camera was better!

And thank you for complimenting the dog and owl :-)

tinyliny 01-17-2012 10:44 PM

I take photos with a digital camera. I put my paintings on the floor , next to the sliding glass door, in shadow but with plenty of natural light, Use the macro feature and take it directly above it. Then upload to computer. take more time than a smart phone. but better image.

I hope you do not think my crit harsh. I offer this because you seem intent on journeying further, not jsut a sketch on the edge of a notebook.

There is always room for more artists here.
Horse Forum is how I got back into art and starting selling commissions. Without HF, I would be doodling on the edge of a notebook, only.

Snizard93 01-17-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1313287)
I take photos with a digital camera. I put my paintings on the floor , next to the sliding glass door, in shadow but with plenty of natural light, Use the macro feature and take it directly above it. Then upload to computer. take more time than a smart phone. but better image.

I hope you do not think my crit harsh. I offer this because you seem intent on journeying further, not jsut a sketch on the edge of a notebook.

There is always room for more artists here.
Horse Forum is how I got back into art and starting selling commissions. Without HF, I would be doodling on the edge of a notebook, only.

My boyfriend does have a good camera so perhaps it is worth while using that for my drawings from now on. My camera really does make the drawings look crappy!

And no, of course your crit is not harsh. I absorb everything! I love being told what I can fix or change, I always strive to improve my work. How can I do that without crit from an outsider? :-)

I would like to think I would be good enough to ask for money for my art, but I doubt that will happen!

tinyliny 01-17-2012 10:54 PM

Don't be so sure about that . . .