The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   First 'jumping' lesson! (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/first-jumping-lesson-10988/)

claireauriga 07-03-2008 11:16 AM

First 'jumping' lesson!

Lesson number seven today, and after having me canter about a bit (no holding on this time!) my instructor got me into jump position (two point). After walking and trotting in this, I was going over poles in walk and trot, and then as I was coming round one time I realised that the second pole had magically turned into a little cross rail! It can't have been even a foot off the ground, and Charlie Brown (the wonderful horse I'm riding at the moment) decided to jump it, instead of just taking big steps!

So, technically, this was my first jumping lesson :D

My legs really ache, though! I'm going to do lots of squats (ugh, squats) to try and reduce how much ache I'm going to have tomorrow, and to build up strength in my legs. I was wobbling all over the place today, doing my best not to grip with my knees and holding onto Charlie's neck strap quite a lot.

It's also weird how much more effort goes into rising trot when you shorten your stirrups by just two holes! I was truly worn out by the end of that lesson. But it was loads of fun :D

XxXequinegrlXxX 07-03-2008 01:06 PM

thats sooo great!!!! jumping is soooo much fun ! my horse once decided to jump a ground pole ! lol. Well i hope your legs won't hurt as much in your next lesson :lol: good luck jumping! :wink:

claireauriga 07-03-2008 01:47 PM

I didn't expect to do this so soon - I haven't got a competent canter yet so I won't be jumping properly for a long while - but my instructor's getting me started on a few things so that as I work at them all I have variety in what I'm doing :)

PoptartShop 07-03-2008 08:06 PM

That's great!!! :) Jumping is definitely very fun & exciting.
Haha @ the stirrup thing, I know! LOL!

claireauriga 07-03-2008 08:12 PM

I was doing rising trot to 'rest' in between holding jump position, which wasn't quite as restful as it was with long stirrups! I'd walk for a few letters when I was getting really tired, but it was lovely to be able to take my feet out of the stirrups and just let my legs hang at the end of the lesson xD

There were moments when it worked, and I could feel my ankles and knees absorbing the motion of the trot, and then times when my body just said 'nope, don't wanna' and I had to go back down. But sometimes I was hovering right over the pommel of the saddle, so sitting down too abruptly was a little bit hit-and-miss xD

I was taken by surprise the first time Charlie jumped. I thought he'd just step over the cross-rail, but I felt his motion change and the saddle sort of rose up underneath me - and then the second time it was more of a proper jump, than a half-hearted hop xD

My2Geldings 07-04-2008 12:21 AM

Congrats on your first jumping lesson :) I remember my first jumping lesson and it was...9-10 years ago?

Nothing more exciting. Congrats :D You will really have a lot of fun :D

southafrica1001 07-04-2008 12:13 PM

Congratulations :D i love jumping and im sure your going to be hooked to lol :D

ilovemyhorsies 07-05-2008 12:49 AM

good luck! sounds like you had a really fun time!

claireauriga 07-12-2008 08:58 AM

Thanks, everyone :D I've been on holiday for a week, and while I've been having lots of fun kayaking and sailing (we went up to the Lake District, as usual), I've missed my riding a lot :( I don't know when I'll get my next lesson, either, as my cousin's coming down next week ...

Any tips for holding jump position when I get back? I know I don't want to pinch with my knees, but is it okay to still grip somewhat with them? And what exactly does one do with one's lower thigh? I have very long, skinny legs, so there isn't really much to grip with, especially when I'm out of the saddle.

midnightbright 06-28-2009 04:51 PM

You can put ALL of you wight in your heels. If you are allowed you can ride and practice. Even I still have trouble with jumping positin. I perch and grip with my knees and I have been riding english for 5 years!