The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   FREEZING RAIN & SNOW STORM... Suggestions for temp shelter (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/freezing-rain-snow-storm-suggestions-temp-109968/)

HorseDreams 01-18-2012 06:11 PM

FREEZING RAIN & SNOW STORM... Suggestions for temp shelter

I just took in a gelding that had been abandoned and it all happened a lot faster than I thought it was going to. He has been out in a pen by himself until he got use to the new environment and updated on vaccines & wormed. Well... we got hit with a storm today, they have been saying it was coming for 1 1/2 weeks now and we were hoping to make it at least until tomorrow so we could make a shelter. Well... the freezing rain is hitting us tonight, we have already accumulated about 5 inches of snow this morning. He has a blanket, but I will feel terrible if it rains! I need suggestions for a quick, temporary shelter. I was thinking of making an A frame with 2x4's (or something a little bigger) and then covering it with a tarp.... think that would work?? My husband is almost off work and we are getting down to business when he gets home to get my new baby some cover!

Any other suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! It needs to be portable because I just have him in their round pen at the moment.

waresbear 01-18-2012 06:13 PM

You don't have a thick stand of evergreen trees? That would make things super easy, throw some hay under the trees, he will find out quite quickly that is the place to stand. Other than that, hubby will have to scab up something quick.

HorseDreams 01-18-2012 06:15 PM

I wish! We are from more desert/dryland so there aren't trees around here, unless you plant them yourself. :?/

HorseDreams 01-18-2012 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 85248

This is what it's like in my area... haha not much for trees!

waresbear 01-18-2012 06:25 PM

Yes, your hubby is gonna have to work hard, looks like the prairies out there. By the way, very nice picture, you & horse look great!

churumbeque 01-18-2012 06:28 PM

Line up some round bales as a wind break. Lot's of hay to eat will keep him warm. I would blanket, it doesn't appear to be water proof and if he gets wet he will really be cold. I don't think the tarp teepee will work because I think he would be scared to go in. You could tarp the sides of your corral panels as a wind break also.