The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Winter Riding? No Indoor, or rather a very small indoor?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/winter-riding-no-indoor-rather-very-110012/)

HorsesAreForever 01-19-2012 07:31 AM

Winter Riding? No Indoor, or rather a very small indoor??

So this is Nova and I's first winter with out an indoor.. we can trailer to one every other weekend end but thats about it..

I wouldn't mind riding in the cold... BUT Nova has really sensative front feeties when it comes to frozen ground.. shes 100% barefoot.. completely sound just ouchie when the ground freezes. I have front hoof..boots? but there just a pain in the butt.. and take forever to get on/off...

We have a small indoor but that most you can really do in there is lunge in a smaller 15m circle... or walk and or jog.. its to small for Novas normal forward trot.. let alone her canter. it feels like im hurting her somehow.. sometimes ill try and ask for it but I can just see its putting a lot of strain on her legs unless she is really collected and slow about it.. but not being able to run much with the froze/icey ground..shes not very slow about the canter lol

I need to figure out how to keep her fit/in shape for show season.. I worked so hard to get her to where she is Id hate to lose it all.

:\ Thanks

kitten_Val 01-19-2012 07:34 AM

I'd just take on/off the boots and ride in normal size area. Even if it's a pain in butt. BTW, it takes me 2 mins to put Easyboot on (whether Edge or Bare).

HorsesAreForever 01-19-2012 07:58 AM

Lol my easy boots arent easy.. well to put on they are fine its taking them off.. takes some prying and tugging lol

I figured thats probably what I might have to do.

gypsygirl 01-19-2012 08:21 AM

have you ever considered putting shoes on her front feet ?

HorsesAreForever 01-19-2012 09:54 AM

Yeah she use to have shoes on.. but the farrier and I both decided she really doesn't need them. So its pointless to spend the money on it when shes sound other then being a bit ouchy on frozen ground which is where the easy boots came in.