The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   In or Out during fireworks (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/out-during-fireworks-11006/)

appylover31803 07-03-2008 08:09 PM

In or Out during fireworks

What do you do on the 4th of July? Do you keep your horses out, if they live in a pasture, or do you put them in a stall for the night?

Vega and Gem are going to be put in a stall for tomorrow night (at around 9 pm) but i am curious to see what other people do.

kickshaw 07-03-2008 10:02 PM

boo (who was trained with all of the old-timey ASB tricks...including fireworks) will have a serious dose of Banamine + ear plugs + phermones to keep him calm... and he will be in his stall :)

Justin will also be in to keep Boo company :D

PaintHorseMares 07-03-2008 10:13 PM

We leave our mares out...they all huddle together in a corner for the couple hours with fireworks, but they're fine.

My2Geldings 07-04-2008 12:07 AM

I have never had problems with my horses being outside during fireworks those I know of a mare who had a serious injury as a youngster while she was outside during fireworks.

Depends on the horse. You'd have to be the one to decide.

upnover 07-04-2008 01:23 AM

our barn is surrounded by neighborhoods on all sides. So we bring in our horses and spend every July 4th evening walking up and down the aisles feeding carrots and watching for colic/anxiety. The neighbors give off some pretty amazing fireworks shows though! (well, considering it's ILLEGAL and all!)

hotreddun 07-04-2008 01:31 AM

I would love to be able to pull mine into a barn. Unfortunately right now we only have a three sided shed on this property :cry: So I will probably be up all night with our back porch lights on checking on him every 5 minutes.

PoptartShop 07-04-2008 03:51 AM

My horse doesn't have any problems with it, it really does depend on the horse. ;) Some don't spook @ it or get bothered by it, but others are more prone to get spooked.

appylover31803 07-04-2008 01:04 PM

Around where the horses are, there are lots of houses, and it's kind of all open land..perfect for setting off fireworks.

We had already planned on bringing them in, i was just curious to see what everyone else does.

Since Gem coliced already, should we keep a really close eye on him to make sure nothing happens again? Or do you think it was because of the massive amounts of drugs he had?

KANSAS_TWISTER 07-06-2008 04:55 AM

we kept our horses out last night....they run and hide in the run in...which doesn't really make any sense to me...when it storms they stand out and watch the storm... when it's fire works they run and hide

Rachluvshorses4eva 07-06-2008 06:09 AM

Although I don't have one. I'd probably keep him in a secure paddock where I could see him. You would not want them charging done the fences, but you would not want them hurting themselves in the stalls trying to escape...