The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   What one of my mares would be best??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/what-one-my-mares-would-best-110063/)

Horseygirlsmith 01-19-2012 04:17 PM

What one of my mares would be best???
 
I am trying to decide which one of my ponies I should breed. I am trying to get a flashy, taller, English/Western horse for myself and would like to train it myself with natural horsemanship. I am going to keep the foal for myself. I am a competitive Cross Country jumper and would like that ability to be in the foal, my mares are both wonderful jumpers and competitors, and have won many awards.
-Friska is a hardship registered 9 year old, 13 h POA pony mare. She has an astounding personality and disposition. She is a pony everyone wants. She is an amazing kids horse and is fantastic in both English and Western events. She loves to trot and when she does she lifts her legs up so high she just looks like a little appaloosa/hackney cross. She has been ridden in lessons with little children and is fantastic and calm for them. She is a wonderful pony and has great athletic ability.
-Sirus is a registered half Welsh pony half Arabian cross. She is an amazing athlete and has a wonderful spunky attitude. She is my personal horse and is my perfect match. She is a competitive speed event/jumping pony and is fantastic in both English and Western events. She has done English Pony Club, Western 4H, and competitive trail riding. She is a flashy adorable pony and has a mothering attitude. She has won classes at the county fair horse show and is an amazing pony with amazing training.
I love both of these mares and care about both of them greatly. Now I am wondering what breed of horse and abilities I should be looking for in a stallion, to get a great foal out of one of my mares.

PaintsPwn 01-19-2012 04:25 PM

Don't breed, buy one. It's cheaper in the long run, and doesn't contribute to the overpopulation - and you can also get exactly what you're looking for. Just because you breed for tall and lean doesn't mean you'll get it.

Eolith 01-19-2012 04:38 PM

Yes, realistically you aren't going to get tall and lean from either of those mares... and there's so many horses that need good homes. You could easily buy a weanling foal and raise it yourself, if that's the experience you're hoping for. I recently adopted a yearling mustang rather than to breed my Welsh Cob mare, and I've been enjoying training him... plus it's really good to know that I was able to give him a home.

That said, if I were absolutely positively going to breed one of those mares, I would breed Sirus. It sounds like she has more of a defined past in terms of knowing her heritage, and it sounds like you've done quite a bit more with her competitively. I would also choose to breed her to either an Arabian or another Welsh for a 3/4 baby that could be registered, because I feel that once you get much more mixed up, the horses aren't always as appealing. There are some really nice Welsh Cob studs out there that are as big as 15 hh... which is about as big a stud as I would want to breed to my 13hh pony.

Horseygirlsmith 01-19-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintsPwn (Post 1316235)
Don't breed, buy one. It's cheaper in the long run, and doesn't contribute to the overpopulation - and you can also get exactly what you're looking for. Just because you breed for tall and lean doesn't mean you'll get it.

I want the experiance of having the foal. All of my horses are rescue horses, Friska we rescued from the slaughter house and Sirus is from an abusive home. I know what I am doing and know what breeding and reciving a foal entails. I am looking for another horse, if I find one that suits my needs I will not breed my mares and buy that horse instead.

Horseygirlsmith 01-19-2012 05:01 PM

I see your point. Both of my mares are quite small and I wouldn't get a tall horse. I have been looking for a weanling as well as a great stallion. If I could find a wonderful weanling perfect for my needs I would buy it. I love arabians and see how it would be good to keep it down to just 2 breeds in the family. Thank You for your help!!!!

Horseygirlsmith 01-19-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eolith (Post 1316255)
Yes, realistically you aren't going to get tall and lean from either of those mares... and there's so many horses that need good homes. You could easily buy a weanling foal and raise it yourself, if that's the experience you're hoping for. I recently adopted a yearling mustang rather than to breed my Welsh Cob mare, and I've been enjoying training him... plus it's really good to know that I was able to give him a home.

That said, if I were absolutely positively going to breed one of those mares, I would breed Sirus. It sounds like she has more of a defined past in terms of knowing her heritage, and it sounds like you've done quite a bit more with her competitively. I would also choose to breed her to either an Arabian or another Welsh for a 3/4 baby that could be registered, because I feel that once you get much more mixed up, the horses aren't always as appealing. There are some really nice Welsh Cob studs out there that are as big as 15 hh... which is about as big a stud as I would want to breed to my 13hh pony.

I see your point. Both of my mares are quite small and I wouldn't get a tall horse. I have been looking for a weanling as well as a great stallion. If I could find a wonderful weanling perfect for my needs I would buy it. I love arabians and see how it would be good to keep it down to just 2 breeds in the family. Thank You for your help!!!!

WyndellaRose 01-19-2012 05:32 PM

I'm no expert at conformation at all so if you like any of these, ask someone else about the conformation...plus I have no idea where you are located but I found a few listed for sale. I searched mainly for Pony/Pony Crosses with Arab/Half Arab thrown in. I am in love with the first one!

DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1740660 - Spotacus ABC

DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1757354 - KA Frosted Champagne

DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1707088 - IM Golde Ice

DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1700713 - Bella Rose SF

These are just a few. If you want super flashy...the top guy is awesome!

Horseygirlsmith 01-19-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WyndellaRose (Post 1316331)
I'm no expert at conformation at all so if you like any of these, ask someone else about the conformation...plus I have no idea where you are located but I found a few listed for sale. I searched mainly for Pony/Pony Crosses with Arab/Half Arab thrown in. I am in love with the first one!

DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1740660 - Spotacus ABC

DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1757354 - KA Frosted Champagne

DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1707088 - IM Golde Ice

DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1700713 - Bella Rose SF

These are just a few. If you want super flashy...the top guy is awesome!

Yeah he is a beautiful horse! What a flashy boy! Thank you!

Horseygirlsmith 01-19-2012 09:40 PM

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...18279240_n.jpg
Sirus-Arabian/Welsh

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...41130945_n.jpg

Friska- Poa Pony

MyLittlePonies 01-19-2012 11:02 PM

Sirus is a pretty girl. :)
What breed do you prefer? Are are A LOT of nice weanlings or even yearlings for sale :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0