The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Gelding or a Mare? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/gelding-mare-110090/)

kittyaurora 01-19-2012 08:09 PM

Gelding or a Mare?

My dad is letting me a horse, but he really wants me to get a mare. My dad already has a gelding and he is pretty sweet, but my dad wants me to get a mare because in his opinion, they're gentler. I have no problem with getting a mare, but all the websites I checked there are hardly any mares for sale that aren't broodmares. Even though they have trained mares for sale, they aren't in my price range. I haven't really trained horses, but I have ridden 'non broken' horses. There are a lot more trained geldings for sale and at a good price. I myself for some reason like male animals better, like dogs cats and such. I would love a mare though. I just would like your opinion on geldings and mares and their 'gentle meter'. Also, is it hard to train horses that are somewhat calm horses?

csimkunas6 01-19-2012 08:17 PM

IMO, mares can be nasty! LOL, but thats just what I have experienced, not that geldings can be. For me though, it was an easy answer to what gender, and that was a gelding :D Good Luck!

andimax 01-19-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittyaurora (Post 1316597)
My dad is letting me a horse, but he really wants me to get a mare. My dad already has a gelding and he is pretty sweet, but my dad wants me to get a mare because in his opinion, they're gentler. I have no problem with getting a mare, but all the websites I checked there are hardly any mares for sale that aren't broodmares. Even though they have trained mares for sale, they aren't in my price range. I haven't really trained horses, but I have ridden 'non broken' horses. There are a lot more trained geldings for sale and at a good price. I myself for some reason like male animals better, like dogs cats and such. I would love a mare though. I just would like your opinion on geldings and mares and their 'gentle meter'. Also, is it hard to train horses that are somewhat calm horses?

it depends... My mare is veryy calm and gentle. my gelding... not so much.. there are those dominant mares too that might not be so gentle too..i guess it all kind of depends on the horses personality. I have to train my mare a bit and i wouldnt say its hard over all ....just when shes stubborn. good luck on your horse search

attackships 01-19-2012 08:31 PM

People will say that because a mare's hormones are intact that they will often be more herdbound in comparison to a gelding. I personally have a mare that will do anything I ask of her and hardly ever gives attitude about it. I also have a moody mare, and another that is generally moody but still tries to please. I don't think deciding on a sex before you get to know a horse will be too beneficial. There are plenty of great mares. But if all you are able to find is a gelding than by all means get one! Don't pass him up just cause hes a gelding either.

kitten_Val 01-19-2012 08:35 PM

kitty, mares can be very marish, moody, and alphish. Yes, there are nice and quiet mares, as well as cranky geldings out there. But from my experience geldings are generally calmer and more gentle (plus they don't have "periods" :D).

I LOVE mares with all their moodiness. Just so much personality! Would never trade mine for a gelding.

RoosHuman 01-19-2012 08:38 PM

I get a lot of flack from the local "pro gelding" crowd (LOL), but I love my mares!! I have known some really great geldings. They were great and steady teachers. But, honestly, I love my mare's spirit. It really just depends on the individual horse, and who is the best fit for you.

Showjumper1 01-19-2012 08:42 PM

Ive known a few good mares but most of them are pills. I find most geldings have pretty decent personalties
Posted via Mobile Device

MyBoyPuck 01-19-2012 08:43 PM

I'd never get a mare after seeing what their owners go through with their moods. I'll take my "yes maam" gelding any day!

AndreaSctlnd 01-19-2012 08:55 PM

Welcome to the forum...and I am getting a mare but if I had my way, I would get a gelding. I had a gelding in the past and I loved him and he was so willing. But like others said, it should all be on how you get to know them. Us women do tend to be moody. :d

Cintillate 01-19-2012 08:56 PM

I find mares more thoughtful and loyal with their owners in my opinon. Geldings are pretty good too but I haven't gotten to know one really well to compare. Mares have hormones that could change their mood a bit but I haven't seen a huge difference when mine are in heat. Depends, maybe went you look for a mare you can look at her and try her out when she is in heat if you are allowed.