The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Much Needed Question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/much-needed-question-1101/)

JustMyLuck 03-15-2007 12:31 AM

Much Needed Question

I have ridden for about 10 years, and i am very interested in getting my own horse.
My family and I are planning on having a small ranch house.
The basis disipline i want to persue is Western so i can go on long trail rides, but does it really matter whether its english or western if you live in a dessert type terrain?
Also, another question is can you have a horse who can be a pleasure jumper, i love to jump, but also be a western part time. I do not plan on showing this horse in jumping, just for fun.

Any Comments?

Thanks. :)

chicken 03-15-2007 05:36 AM

I have ridden english all my life, and only recently did a bit of western. For long trail rides I would go for western every time. Its much more comfortable, safer, and easier on the horse IMHO.
Also it looks really cool.
Change to English for jumping!

BeautifulBay 03-15-2007 11:37 AM

Western is a lot more comfortable when on a trail, especially for long trails, and I think it's safer, too, just because you're less likely to get uncomfortable and crampy. You can also carry more stuff with you on a trail by getting saddle bags and stuff.
But you CAN ride english on a trail as well, just get a cheap or older saddle, because trails are bound to scratch it up.

It is wise to teach your horse some practical jumps in a western saddle, simply because you never know when you'll come across a downed tree while on a trail or something else that they have to go over. Keep your jumps small and practice going over some poles and short brush. You don't have to change what you ride unless you particularly want to. I want to get an english saddle just to have one and use every now and then...but I'm primarily western.

JustMyLuck 03-16-2007 11:10 PM

thanks you guys for replying, That will come in handy when i make my decision

Bentley 03-17-2007 07:38 PM

Much needed question

You may want to try some of the endurance saddles. Many of them are english/western hybreds that combine the best of both for trail. I rode endurance for years, and my favorite saddle for long hours on the trail was an endurance saddle because it wasn't as heavy as traditional western saddles, yet provided more support than an english saddle. My current saddle is a Specialized, which I love, and I also have a Synergist that is extremely comfortable, but a lot heavier than the Specialized.

Horse_love999 03-17-2007 08:00 PM

Well i have been riding for almost all my life, i was riding english for about 7 years, then switched over to Westren. I would suggest starting out with western, its very laid back, casual, secure, and very easy to learn. I have been riding western only for about 4 weeks and i mite be showing next weekend, so its pretty simple. (imo) English is good to, but it does take alot of collection also, espically in Dressage. Jumping is a fun sport, to fool around with your horse. You can have a horse that does western and english, it will nt harm them at all. And terrain doesn't matter, with riding.
welcome to horseforums.com

- chelsea -
:D