The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Protecting tack? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/protecting-tack-110102/)

Lafitte 01-19-2012 09:56 PM

Protecting tack?

I was wandering, if barns that don't have lockers, how do you guys keep your tack safe? I know that you can place stuff in lockable trunks, but what about your saddle (western mainly)?

BarrelracingArabian 01-19-2012 10:01 PM

Well we have a 'private' tack area. Now it is currently in need of a door with a lock because people don't know how to ask -_- but we keep our personal stuff in there and I will soon be buying a locking trunk of somesort for my bridles/halters/boots and such

loveduffy 01-20-2012 01:27 PM

chain the saddle to the rack that is what I do people are in and out of the barn and some of them I know and some I do not

SunnysMum 01-23-2012 07:29 PM

I keep my name on my little stuff (i.e. boots, towels, grooming supplies, bottles, etc)
dont really have to worry about anybody taking my stuff though, even though I am new at the barn the people are warm and friendly, hopefully wont have a problem with "borrowing"..

BarrelracingArabian 01-23-2012 08:19 PM

I dont have a problem with my saddle possibly being stolen as its the only one with MORGAN on the back a light blue seat and a 147 sticker that I have ever seen hah :]

draftgrl 01-24-2012 03:28 PM

I'm lucky enough to be at a barn with mainly adults. No one has their equipment locked up, and the barn owner is one that does not put up with any kind of B.S. So far I've had no problems!

littleredridinghood 01-28-2012 01:43 AM

Before I was at the barn I'm currently at I bought a saddle bag with two zippers and locked my saddle in it using a luggage lock. Then buy a locking tack box and it should be fine

With Grace 01-29-2012 06:55 PM

I take my saddle and bridle home with me each day. Actually I take everything with me, the back of my truck looks like a tack room at the moment (hey, its even heated lol). I just purchased a tack trunk that Im going to be leaving in one of the empty stalls, and a big ol lock for it. My saddle will still be coming home with me though.

RitzieAnn 01-31-2012 01:09 AM

a lot of items shared a community tack room. I didn't have anything stolen. Thankfully :)

I kept grooming supplies in one of those 3 drawer plastic Sterilite storage 'dressers'. Along with any odd things like grain scoop, probis, etc. That lived at my stall door on a small bench.

If I was worried about things (or when we got a bunch of new boarders) I just used my horse trailer. The one I had at the time had a locking tack room!

I don't have that trailer anymore, and I also don't board anymore. But I think that the bigger problem is who doesn't board there, not who actually does.

WickedNag 01-31-2012 07:52 AM

My tack is always locked up in my trailer. I tack and untack at the trailer and it is always ready to go when we are. Back up to the trailer, load the horses and hit the road. Love keeping my tack in my trailer!