The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Possible reiner? (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/possible-reiner-110151/)

MangoRoX87 01-20-2012 11:34 AM

Possible reiner?

4 Attachment(s)
I'm thinking about having my 3 year old as my reiner. He's slowly growing into himself and getting the muscle he's been lacking (LOL poor little guy always gets made fun of for being so tiny :lol:).

Sire's pedigree:
PEDIGREE RECORD 2006, AQHA. All Rights Reserved.

Dam:
PEDIGREE RECORD 2006, AQHA. All Rights Reserved.

He was started very lightly last summer, and I am hoping to have him riding good by April for our first Foundation show. I am mainly riding him at the show to get him experienced and help me and the other youth competitors be able to get points in events with fewer riders.

Video of him:

Here are some random pics, I'll try to get some better ones today.

MangoRoX87 01-20-2012 11:34 AM

WOW. That last picture was a total fail. At least I got the right horse. lol

Tasia 01-22-2012 03:14 AM

Your horse does not have to look like a Reiner to be a Reiner. All horses can benefit from some solid reining training, I'd say just do it.

SorrelHorse 01-22-2012 03:20 AM

Go for it....I'd love some confo shots if you have them (Can't watch the video, bandwidth, sorry) But I've seen a 17hh warmblood with reining training just for fun. And I guarantee your horse is definately built better than that warmblood ;D

franknbeans 01-22-2012 09:23 AM

I am smiling at these posts, and agree totally. A reining foundation is a really good one, IMO. You have some reining blood in your guy, especially on the sires side. Small and compact is actually a good thing, according to many reining trainers I have talked to. That said, I am smiling because you have a MUCH better chance than I do, and I am spending a small fortune to put a reining foundation on my GRADE, PMU rescue who is (*gasp*) 1/2 TWH! And, get this, the trainer says he is actually showing some promise(partly because he seems to enjoy it)-and he is 15.2~!
As long as you go at it with the right attitude, which is to have fun, and not have to be derby eligible to achieve that-you will learn and so will he. JMHO. Maybe someday I can afford a "real" reiner. lol

MangoRoX87 01-22-2012 10:12 AM

Lol thanks guys!!:)
Heck, I've seen a clydesdale barrel race, so I am sure a TWH can rein!!
Posted via Mobile Device

franknbeans 01-22-2012 10:24 AM

My ClydeX thinks he is really fast......but....uhhhhhh-no! His butt is just too big!
Posted via Mobile Device

MHFoundation Quarters 01-22-2012 10:34 AM

I'm also in the camp that a reining foundation is beneficial for any horse. It sets them up for great body control & handling, a benefit for any horse regardless of discipline.

Franknbeans, I'd love to see Frank plow around a set of barrels! I had a friend as a teen that rode her dad's Belgian mare and showed her in pleasure driving. On a whim decided to jump her at an open show once....she gave it a good effort even if she did pull every jump down behind her :lol:

franknbeans 01-22-2012 10:37 AM

Haha-he was actually bred for field hunting---lol. He loved to jump, back when he still could.....barrels-hmm. With that belly we would be taking some wide corners!
Posted via Mobile Device

COWCHICK77 01-22-2012 10:43 AM

50 Attachment(s)
He's cute!! I like the way he's bred on the top. The thing about reining is he will be broke enough to do anything you want with him.
Posted via Mobile Device