The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Anyone else want to try an experiment with me? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/anyone-else-want-try-experiment-me-110154/)

MangoRoX87 01-20-2012 10:44 AM

Anyone else want to try an experiment with me?

One of my friends that shows Arabians told me how she got her horses coat dark and healthy.
They put black oil sunflower seeds in their feed!
Walmart.com: Pennington Black Oil Sunflower Seed, 20 lb: Garden Center

I believe she said put a cup in each feeding. I'd have to ask her to make sure.

My little colt's coat is absolutely pitiful. Just blah and always blah. Never looks all that healthy. I'm trying one supplement right now, and if it doesn't work I am going to start this and see how it goes:)

Anyone want to try?:)

netty83 01-20-2012 10:46 AM

My trainer does this and her mare has a beautiful glossy coat. I don't think it was instant though took a while.

leapoffaithfarm 01-20-2012 10:48 AM

Actually I have started this with my show horses and even with the winter fuzzies i see that the coat is looking better. I add 1 cup each feeding :-)

MangoRoX87 01-20-2012 10:51 AM

Awesome!!!:) Some before and after shots might be nice?:)

equiniphile 01-20-2012 12:11 PM

I might have to try that one on my guys. I'll let you know how it goes!

walkinthewalk 01-20-2012 12:16 PM

If the colt is as young as it sounds, I would be finding out exactly why it's coat isn't healthy; there's an underlying reason.

I would not feed BOSS to an adult horse much less a baby. BOSS is very high in Omega-6 which is well-established to aggravate inflammation.

Also, IF someone chooses to feed BOSS anyway, don't feed BOSS with striped hulls and definitely don't feed it to a horse if the bag says "Bird Coated" because BOSS is bird seed not a horse supplement.

Omega-3 Horseshine will do a much better job to keep hooves and coats healthy. It's more expensive to purchase but 1/4 - 1/2 cup daily per horse is all that's needed.

At any rate, if the colt looks poor, it might be good to have a vet examine it before giving it something that is bird seed, even though horses devour them and it makes their coats shine:D

loveduffy 01-20-2012 01:12 PM

I have read that flax seed oil is great for horses and dogs coats

mls 01-20-2012 01:39 PM

For our shiny, silky coats we feed Milk Plus or Calf Manna. 1/2 cup with evening feed. No added 'fat' for those that don't need it.

Skyseternalangel 01-20-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoRoX87 (Post 1317484)
One of my friends that shows Arabians told me how she got her horses coat dark and healthy.
They put black oil sunflower seeds in their feed!
Walmart.com: Pennington Black Oil Sunflower Seed, 20 lb: Garden Center

I believe she said put a cup in each feeding. I'd have to ask her to make sure.

My little colt's coat is absolutely pitiful. Just blah and always blah. Never looks all that healthy. I'm trying one supplement right now, and if it doesn't work I am going to start this and see how it goes:)

Anyone want to try?:)

Already done and it works. Also helped my horse with his hooves and he gained weight more steadily when paired with oats and probiotics.

But be careful. Listen to walkinthewalk, my farrier was helping me along.

CinderEve 01-20-2012 03:03 PM

I have used BOSS for my horses and had great results. However, as mentioned don't used striped or "bird feed" marked BOSS. Bad juju.

It won't darken the coat however, simply add a shine. You can definitely get the same results with flax seed oil and is potentially safer.