The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   genetic color question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/genetic-color-question-110171/)

bjb 01-20-2012 01:42 PM

genetic color question

Ok so I was learning about my mares dam. I was told she was homozygous for black (she's a black and white tobiano APHA) they said she cant throw red foals? Is that true? What if she were bred to a chestnut colored stallion? Would the foal still be black and white?
This is just for curiousity sake ...
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 01-20-2012 02:35 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Yes. Being homozygous black, she will NEVER be able to produce a red based foal. Chestnut/Sorrel, Palomino, Red Dun, Cremello etc. Anything that is e/e. Your mare will only be able to produce E/e foals (or E/E depending on what she's bred to) So her resulting foal will always be black based like black, bay, grulla, perlino, buckskin, etc.

bjb 01-20-2012 02:54 PM

Ok thanks thats extremly helpful... so is this how buckskin paints happen? Like breeding the mother with a buckskin stud?
Posted via Mobile Device

SunnyDraco 01-20-2012 03:25 PM

^^^ that depends on the buckskin stud and his color and agouti genes. If he is homozygous agouti, you would still only have about a 50% chance at a buckskin foal since he would only have one dilution gene.

The only way to guarantee a buckskin foal when the dam is a homozygous black tobiano is if the sire is a cremello (double dilute) and homozygous agouti.
Posted via Mobile Device

bjb 01-20-2012 03:34 PM

Ok one more question... can a palomino mare produce a grullo foal? We have a mare we are not 100% on her color. All we know is her dam was palomino. Some people have called her a buckskin, some a dun, and some a grullo. I personally think sooty buckskin but I dont know enough about genetics to say forsure. I'll try uploading a picture soon
Posted via Mobile Device

NdAppy 01-20-2012 03:43 PM

Sure can. Depends on what the stud was.

bjb 01-20-2012 03:46 PM

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...584313_o-1.jpg
This is the mare. I have no clue what color the stud was
Posted via Mobile Device

SunnyDraco 01-20-2012 03:46 PM

With some horses, the only way to know for sure is to do genetic testing LOL

But the question shouldn't be just what a palomino can produce, (which they are one dilute gene over a red coat) but what does the sire of the foal have to contribute?
Posted via Mobile Device

bjb 01-20-2012 03:52 PM

Right! Mostly I was curious what color everyone thinks this girl is. I asked the question the way I did because i was under the inpression that a palomino could never proclduce a grullo ..not sure why. Like i said I dont know much about genetics. Im glad I dont breed horses... its too confusing! LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

MN Tigerstripes 01-20-2012 03:57 PM

She looks like a sooty buckskin to me, but I am not a color genius by any means.