The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What have horses taught you? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-have-horses-taught-you-110238/)

ReneeM 01-21-2012 06:19 AM

What have horses taught you?

Just thinking about this today...from birth all i've known are horses, it would sound ridiculous to my 'non-horsey' friends but horses have played a huge part in forming my character, values, skills, knowledge and making me the person i am today. Thought i'd share some of the things they've taught me...i hope you'll do the same :)
They’ve taught me the value of money (every dollar translates into bales of hay, bags of feed & farrier visits). I know the value of land and buildings and the importance of caring for your vehicles. I’ve learnt to have responsibility for those other than myself and to have compassion. I’ve learnt that there are no ‘days off’ and for every hour of fun and achievement there are days of hard work you must do first. They’ve shown me that some people will do anything to win, regardless of who it hurts and I’ve discovered that those who cheat in the show ring will cheat in every aspect of their lives and can’t be trusted. I’ve learnt to judge people just as I judge horses and see through to who they REALLY are. Horses have taught me to plan ahead. A decision made now can effect what happens 5 years down the track. Horse’s have taught me that appearance doesn’t matter to most of the breathing things in this world and that sleepless nights and patience will allow me the opportunity to witness the birth of a true miracle.
What have horses taught you?

waresbear 01-21-2012 06:26 AM

1. Respect for large animals
2. Patience
3. Responsibility
4. Love of outdoors
5. Good work ethics
6. Physical endurance

Scoutrider 01-21-2012 09:24 AM

In no particular order: :wink:

- Respect
- Perseverance
- Responsibility
- Problem Solving
- Sportsmanship
- Work Ethic
- Humility
- How to deal with a problem without taking it personally
- How to ride tall
- How to fall down, and get right back on

ConfusciusWasAGreatTeachr 01-21-2012 09:46 AM

Horses are great teachers.

They teach you honesty, reality, responsibility, your faults, your weaknesses, your strengths... ah the list is endless.

They have also taught me that they make better friends than most humans.

MHFoundation Quarters 01-21-2012 09:50 AM

-Patience
-Grit & Determination
-That shoveling manure beats a 9-5 job any day
-Hard work pays off
-Ingenuity & thinking outside of the box

I also think horses have had a huge influence on how I parent and they themselves have had influence on her. I have a kind, respectful daughter that isn't afraid of working for what she wants and has goals already for her future at 6 years old.

gingerscout 01-21-2012 09:52 AM

dont let them know you have extra money.. as they will get sick or injured and require vet care :lol:

pintophile 01-21-2012 10:48 AM

Horses have taught me not to join the crushing movement towards instant gratification. With the internet never more than a step away, in a room where there are going to be far more people with a cell phone than without, with billion-dollar technology working to answer all the questions in the universe, knowledge is so easy to come by. We all want it NOW, and we want to know EVERYTHING.

I think the (current) thing I value most about horses is that there are no short cuts. They run on their own calendars, and they have all the time in the world. They don't care if you want them broke in a month, or if you only have 15 minutes to ride so it better count, or if you want them to learn collection or what have you in a week. Working with horses forces you to slow down to their level and sort of escape the frantic drive that the world has become. You learn patience and determination, and you learn that some things just can't be found on the internet and it takes ACTUAL WORK (* le GASP! *) to master them. They (and other things) have taught me to realize that I don't know what I don't know, and my goal in life is to figure out what it is I don't know.

mildot 01-21-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1318822)
1. Respect for large animals
2. Patience
3. Responsibility
4. Love of outdoors
5. Good work ethics
6. Physical endurance

1, 2, and 6. I already had the other three.

But good list.

Saddlebag 01-21-2012 10:57 AM

To live in the moment as nothing else exists other than what is going on in that moment. I know longer worry about future possible occurances because they are in the future and not in the now. Nor do I fret about the past as it no longer is. What great mental freedom. This is also how horses live.

mildot 01-21-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoutrider (Post 1318885)
In no particular order: :wink:

- Perseverance
- Humility
- How to ride tall
- How to fall down, and get right back on

All that too