The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My first jumps ever!

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  mildot 
#1 ·
My dad was wondering if his horse would jump, soooo we decided I should give it a try, being the weirdo in the area that takes interest in English riding. I'd been riding this horse English for a while now, we've done trotting poles and some cavaletti under western tack too. I set up a little jump, and such, and she jumped it in-hand, so I saddled up and gave it a try.

I know the ground is fine! The snow has been stirred up with sand and there's no ice or anything. The horses were ripping around like nuckleheads this morning there.
Please be gentle...

#2 ·
My dad was wondering if his horse would jump, soooo we decided I should give it a try, being the weirdo in the area that takes interest in English riding. I'd been riding this horse English for a while now, we've done trotting poles and some cavaletti under western tack too. I set up a little jump, and such, and she jumped it in-hand, so I saddled up and gave it a try.

I know the ground is fine! The snow has been stirred up with sand and there's no ice or anything. The horses were ripping around like nuckleheads this morning there.
Please be gentle...

Jumping Lizzy - YouTube
**Also, I checked my diagonals at random, and it was on the correct one about 90% on the time!!!!! :D

#6 ·
Looking good! Heels down, and the only thing I as a jumper would try to work on is as your approaching both jumps go into a 2-point :) That way when your horse approaches the second jump he/she doesn't feel rushed as your going into your position! Very pretty horse!

#9 ·
Very nice beginning. There is good advice above and I have little to add. Maybe the stirrup one hole shorter to allow you to settle into the stirrup easier.

Lovely horse and you two look good together. Are you going to be able to take any jumping lessons where you are? Now is the time to think about it. You are a really nice team and the beginning is when bad habits can start. I would hate to see a combination with so much promise go down any wrong paths.

if no lessons are in the future, keep posting your progress. Cyber coaching is better than nothing :wink:

#13 · (Edited)
parents who dont like English
What is their problem with it?

As far as your form, I def agree with stirrups a couple of holes shorter.

I think your seat looks fine. I'm not a fan of approaching most jumps on a two point seat. I'd rather sit deep and just fold at the waist as little as possible while closing my hip angle. Not a fan of throwing myself over the horse's neck.

#12 ·
Lizzy is the most willing horse ever. I swear. Except for when it comes to picking up the correct lead... -.-

I'll keep in mind what everyone has said next time I jump :) I've been lurking all of the other threads looking for jumping critiques, and I'm learning from other peoples oopsies :P

#14 ·
My area is solid old cowboy style Western. My dad yelled at me cause I taught my horse collection. The Western trainers here (all 3 of them) teach collection and stuff...
There's nothing English for at least an hour and a half drive. Except for me.

#15 ·
My dad yelled at me cause I taught my horse collection. The Western trainers here (all 3 of them) teach collection and stuff...
There's nothing English for at least an hour and a half drive. Except for me.
True collection takes a horse years to learn. I haven't seen a western trainer that knows what collection really is :?. At least not by the classical definition.

You and your horse are working on connection, which is great. Hang in there and keep posting videos. You are picking this stuff up very well and very quickly. Take advantage of what Allison Finch has to offer. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.