The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Western Horsemanship? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/western-horsemanship-110270/)

randomrider92 01-21-2012 04:28 PM

Western Horsemanship?

Alright, so there is an open fun show being hosted at a stable not to far away in may and one of the classes is western horsemanship. I've only seen high level western horsemanship and I'm wondering what would a lower level western horsemanship look like? What would it consist of? Any details. I've never done one before and the show is in May. Thought I'd go at it for the heck of it XD

equiniphile 01-21-2012 06:41 PM

If you're more familiar with English, think 'english equitation.' Most horsemanship classes will call for a w/j/l along the ring with the rest of the class, plus the added element of a pattern. At an open show, the maneuvers in the pattern will most likely be a combination of these: Forehand turns, haunch turns, walking and jogging, loping on either lead, change of leads, sliding stop, rein-back, sidepass.

waresbear 01-21-2012 08:17 PM

Not sure of the rules in your area, but horsemanship will consist of a pattern then after all competitors have completed the pattern, they will be judged on railwork. Pattern should be posted well in advance of the class.

GotaDunQH 01-24-2012 11:56 AM

^ Yep, horsemanship is a prescribed pattern that is performed individually and it consists of walk/jog/lope transitions, stop and then a back up, straight lines with circles, arcs etc. The horsemanship (AQHA) patterns I've done have never included a sliding stop (that's reining) or a side pass. After everyone has completed the pattern, you work one way on the rail.

Google "horse show patterns" and there is a website that has a ton of HMS, SMS patterns on it. Those types of patterns are the ones you'll do at shows.

Eclipse295 02-05-2012 04:23 PM

At local shows around here and 4-H shows horsemanship is basically a rail class. Just like western pleasure only they judge you instead of the horse. Ay fair last year they added a pattern to it and said it may be used but they never used it. I truthfully.would rather ride a pattern then w/t/l around in circles I'm sure my horse would agree with me.
but I believe at most shows horsemanship is pattern class
Posted via Mobile Device

sierrams1123 02-09-2012 11:24 PM

Mostly rail work, maybe some poles laid out....about how they do it at some smaller shows around here may get a pattern that you will have to do one at a time. They try and keep it the same as the bigger show do.

KGolden 02-19-2012 11:09 PM

At all the shows Ive been to it's a pattern with w/j/l transitions with a lead change or two thrown in . I'm too nervous about patterns to do it but it looks fun !
Posted via Mobile Device

equiniphile 02-24-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotaDunQH (Post 1323513)
The horsemanship (AQHA) patterns I've done have never included a sliding stop (that's reining) or a side pass. After everyone has completed the pattern, you work one way on the rail.

I guess it depends on what you're showing. My Western Pleasure expertise stretches only as far as 4-H (lol), and they have on occasion called for a sliding stop or side pass.

SorrelHorse 02-29-2012 08:51 PM

Western horsemanship is a pattern class. You are judged on your equitation and the willingness of your horse, as well as how well you perform the manuevers.

This year our pattern consists of a lead departure, a small collected left circle, lead changes, large serpentines with "increased energy" (aka faster), fast to slow transitions, lope to jog transitions, small jog circles, stop, haunch turn, back up, extended jog. In that order (The lead changes are mixed in the lope serpetine/circles)

In the past there has also been leg yields.

It's a killer for me because in the rules it says "Equines behavior and actions will all be directly impacted by the rider's horsemanship" <--- And I have a bucker, LOL. We place high when she behaves though.