The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Any Idea What Kind/Brand Of Saddle This Is? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/any-idea-what-kind-brand-saddle-110289/)

BornToRun 01-21-2012 07:35 PM

Any Idea What Kind/Brand Of Saddle This Is?

5 Attachment(s)
I got this old saddle a few years ago for my birthday. It's spent a great deal of time in an old dusty barn, so I decided to wash it up and put it in my room. I remember riding in it a couple times. But I have no idea what the brand is. I can't find a stamp on it anywhere. Can anyone shed some light?

BornToRun 01-21-2012 09:06 PM

Bump??

COWCHICK77 01-21-2012 10:08 PM

50 Attachment(s)
Its a neat looking old saddle...it kinda reminds me of the old Simco or Longhorn saddles. But it would be stamped if that was the case. I would rather ride in that than some of the new crap that people strap to their horses!

There are people on here that would know maybe, Saddlebag, she knows saddles...
Posted via Mobile Device

BornToRun 01-21-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COWCHICK77 (Post 1319682)
Its a neat looking old saddle...it kinda reminds me of the old Simco or Longhorn saddles. But it would be stamped if that was the case. I would rather ride in that than some of the new crap that people strap to their horses!

There are people on here that would know maybe, Saddlebag, she knows saddles...
Posted via Mobile Device

That's what I thought too. I was so excited when I saw it. If it fit my horse, I would sell my new one and use this all the time! Do you think it's possible for a stamp to wear off?

COWCHICK77 01-21-2012 10:35 PM

50 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BornToRun (Post 1319696)
That's what I thought too. I was so excited when I saw it. If it fit my horse, I would sell my new one and use this all the time! Do you think it's possible for a stamp to wear off?

I doubt it, given how good of shape the saddle appears to be in. Another option is if it was originally stamped on a keeper and it was replaced, I can't tell from the pictures because I'm on my phone.

I have seen some makers marks way up in the skirts and you don't see it until you go to re string them, but I don't know I am not an expert.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 01-22-2012 11:50 AM

It makes me think this was made by Bona Allen perhaps for the department store trade. Back then even catalog sale saddles were of better quality as that is all people wanted - to last a lifetime. These saddles never bore the maker's mark. About 10 years ago I rode in one of these for about 5 hours and was ready to go on another ride that's how comfortable the saddle was.

BornToRun 01-22-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1320291)
It makes me think this was made by Bona Allen perhaps for the department store trade. Back then even catalog sale saddles were of better quality as that is all people wanted - to last a lifetime. These saddles never bore the maker's mark. About 10 years ago I rode in one of these for about 5 hours and was ready to go on another ride that's how comfortable the saddle was.

Thank you!