The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   oh my knees! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/oh-my-knees-11032/)

alstaxidermy 07-04-2008 08:00 AM

oh my knees!

Okay - I could almost give up. I have crummy knees and riding makes it tens times worse!!!! Let me explain....

It must be arthritis - though I refuse to go to a doctor yet- but really...if I sit too long in one position my knees freeze that way, don't want to bend and hurt like the dickens! When I go riding it is like ten times worse. Even gone to the lengths of spending some time (think 30 minutes) just sitting in the saddle while the horse wandered the round pen and I had someone there to be sure I was sitting correctly and I still had a hard time hopping off the horse. She was grazing - I was sitting - and they didn't want to bend when I hit the ground.

What do I do? Are there any people supplements that are good for joints? Should I try a different saddle (hubby suggested that...I just dunno) It helps some to stop and stretch with my feet out of the stirrups, but lets be honest...that's somewhat impractical and also not so much on the safe side,,,so what next? Any suggestions help tons!!

G and K's Mom 07-04-2008 12:20 PM

Getting old sucks, doesn't it? LOL

My knee's give me grief as well. I do find that going to a chiro every 6 weeks or so really helps. You could be out in another part of your body and your compensating and putting more stress on your knee's. I have a problem with left hip, right knee.

Lengthening my stirrups a hole has helped as well, you have to play with it and see if a hole or two helps.

I drop my stirrups on a trail ride as well if I get really uncomfortable, I can usually go for about an hour but after a couple hour trail ride I start to ache.

There are lots of products out there for arthritis, if you don't want to go the to the doctor, have a talk with a pharmacists at the drug store. They may be able to offer some suggestions for pain management or supplements.

iridehorses 07-04-2008 02:56 PM

How broken in is your saddle? I'm going to assume it is a Western saddle. I have to really work in a new or stiff saddle before I ride it or my knees give out too. Before a ride I usually take an Advil or at least Tylenol.

If your fenders are stiff and your legs have to keep them turned so that your feet are in the correct position, then I would suggest either stirrup turners or really really working on the leather.

If you are in an English saddle then nothing is going to work aside from medication.

The only other alternative I would suggest is to go to an Australian saddle. It is a combo of a Western and English saddle. The advantage is that the stirrup leathers are like an English saddle and will be easy on your knees.

alstaxidermy 07-05-2008 04:45 PM

Thanks ya'll!

G&K'sMom - I may be looking into the chiro thing pretty soon - I just hate the thought of a regular doctor because they have so much stuff they get kickbacks for pushing these days - ya know?

As far as lengthening the stirrups - tried it yesterday and it helps a little, but still pretty bad

Iridehorses - It's a pretty well broken in western saddle - what my husband suggested was trying his barrel racing saddle - he swears it'd help cause it's more designed for balance - the trouble is if I want the one that was his we have to fight his sister to gt it back (long story, but his dad died, we were in California and she ransacked the house before we made it back - therefore a lot of stuff we had there for safe keeping is MIA)

Thanks guys - I guess I'll just suck it up and be tough for a while and maybe if we can't get that one saddle back then start shopping around....and the chiro idea sounds very plausible

Vidaloco 07-05-2008 04:59 PM

I know exactly how you feel :( After an hour in the saddle I used to get off and not hardly be able to stand much less walk. My feet would even go numb. I was riding an Abetta saddle at the time waiting till I could get the $$ for a custom. My new saddle never gives me knee pain but the fenders were turned from the maker. You might look into some stirrup swivels.
http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/pro...HL2N0C04DAE187

My2Geldings 07-05-2008 06:39 PM

go see your doctor...

smrobs 07-30-2008 08:51 AM

It is a common mistake that a lot of western riders make. We are all taught to put our weight on our feet while riding to keep our heels down and toes pointed out. One thing I found while riding colts is that is not only uncomfortable but also dangerous. Try putting only enough pressure on your feet to keep them in the stirrups. Instead, keep your balance using your seat and thighs. This will also help your horsemanship and will make it easier to ride if your horse bucks or spooks and bolts.

iridehorses 07-30-2008 09:46 AM

Actually there is a another way to turn your leathers so that the stirrups are always facing forward which will alleviate the twist your knees get while riding.

It's turning the leather in the Arizona style. I'll get some pic up a little latter today. I just got a new saddle and did my stirrups last nite - perfect.

My2Geldings 07-30-2008 10:37 AM

Just go see the doctor. There is an endless list of the things it could be thats causing this.
I have a knee that hurts when riding that's to the point where I can even put weight on it.

Do yourself a favor and go see a doctor.

FoxyRoxy1507 07-30-2008 10:47 AM

i have arthritis really bad in my knees and ankles and my doctor and chiropractor told me to take the MSM vitamin for humans. I started taking it and within a week i already started to feel better. so you could always try that.