The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   guniea pigs (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/guniea-pigs-110331/)

gypsygirl 01-22-2012 07:31 AM

guniea pigs

does anyone on here have a guniea pig[s] ??

im thinking about getting a guniea pig, but i dont know that much about them. if you have a guniea pig how do you like it ? are they easy/hard to care for ? are they expensive ?

im looking for a small pet to have around that is not expensive. i just moved into a new apartment and you cant have dogs or cats. you arent supposed to have any animals, but my landlord said if it was in a small cage he would look the other way. i really like the guniea pigs i have met but i really have no experience with them !

thanks =]

HowClever 01-22-2012 09:03 AM

I have 3 guinea pigs and while they are not terribly difficult to keep or expensive if you're planning on keeping your pig in a small cage all the time please don't get one.

While they are only little they need a decent chunk of space to run around in. Mine are kept in a double story hutch and still get brought out to run around in a big pen in the back yard.
Posted via Mobile Device

gypsygirl 01-22-2012 09:34 AM

i would definitely plan to take it out to run around EVERY day ! i dont want it to be locked up all the time. i would also be able to take it into work with me sometimes =]

do you think they stink up the house ?

HowClever 01-22-2012 09:41 AM

If the cage is thoroughly cleaned out daily then no they won't stink up the house.

This link has minimum cage sizes. Even with daily floor time your pig will not be happy in a small cage. Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home
Posted via Mobile Device

gypsygirl 01-22-2012 10:09 AM

the guinea pig cage i was planning on getting is 40inX20in and 20in tall, do you think thats big enough ?

Cruiser 01-22-2012 11:29 AM

The cage size is a little small, but you'r probably limited to how big you can have, you can always make a pen and put down towels so they can run around when your home.

I make homemade cages, so ours is two storys 40 by 20 inch by 24 tall. We use natural kitty litter (newspaper or wood pellet) under a thin layer of shavings it really keeps the smell down if you can't change the cage on time.

I have owned 6 or 7 guinea pigs, I say that because I rescued a little female, turned out pregnant had two babies, the people were so bright because they bred her to another roan and got a lethal. Now we have her and her only daughter together. Both of ours are medium hair mixes with the hair growing the wrong way, so you have to rub them butt to head.

Good luck getting a pig.

gypsygirl 01-23-2012 09:14 PM

so i got my pig yesterday, she is awesome !! i will try to post some pics later =] shes mostly black with some brown spots and a white blaze. i named her willa. me and my roomate already set up a pen in the living room for willa and her pig, trixi, to play in. we havent introduced them yet, just waiting for willa to settle in a little bit =]

Hidalgo13 01-23-2012 09:27 PM

Guinea pigs are great. I really miss mine :( I had her for exactly 6 years before having to put her down. Definitely read all about them as there is a lot of know. I envy you for getting one. ;)

Small note: I don't think it's a good idea to bring your pig to work. They can be very sensitive creatures and catch a cold from a small cool draft, or catch a disease easily as their immune system isn't the strongest.

Keep your pig at home, safe in it's cage with just a lot of play time in the apartment. At most bring it outside to a safe patch of grass (as in you are almost 100% sure no dog pooed/peed or that there are pesticides in that patch of grass). Guinea pigs love grass, but be careful to put a small cage over because she might run away or an animal will snatch her. Some guinea pigs are awfully curious and will venture far. ;) Luckily mine was too much of a "pig" and just sat in the grass and ate to her death, only bothering to move when all the grass in front of her was gone or not to her liking.