The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   My rescue. Still skinny? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/my-rescue-still-skinny-110360/)

furbabymum 01-22-2012 03:02 PM

My rescue. Still skinny?

3 Attachment(s)
This is Sundance. I've been giving him beet pulp and grain along with a lot of alfalfa/grass mix hay. I was looking at him and he is starting to get quite a belly on him while his hind end looks the same. Opinions? He has no shape to my eyes. He's like a barrel with legs.
Attachment 85617

Attachment 85618

Attachment 85620

furbabymum 01-22-2012 03:03 PM

He's on the right with his butt facing the camera in the last picture.

themacpack 01-22-2012 03:09 PM

How much beet pulp, what kind of grain and what, if any, work is he doing? How long have you had him? Any pictures from when you first got him (to reference for improvement to date)? He definitely could use some filling in in places.

furbabymum 01-22-2012 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sadly this is the best pic from when I just got him.
He's getting 3 lbs of beet pulp and only a 1b of grain. He's getting Life Design senior grain. That's what he was eating before I got him.

As for work, he's not getting pretty much any. It's been too windy to trailer safely to the trainer and he doesn't know how to lunge. Winter was a crappy time to buy a horse.

redape49 01-22-2012 03:41 PM

A barrel with legs! I just had to laugh a lil :lol:

Dreamcatcher Arabians 01-22-2012 03:49 PM

I'd be feeding more Senior and less beet pulp to fill him out in all the right spots. He's still rafter hipped like a cow so needs quite a bit more weight on his hind end. He's on the right path though!

katysummer 01-22-2012 05:20 PM

Ahhh my problem also!!!

furbabymum 01-22-2012 06:32 PM

I'm getting rid of my mare who keeps him from the hay. Then I'll free feed hay. Still need to feed more grain??
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 1320625)
I'd be feeding more Senior and less beet pulp to fill him out in all the right spots. He's still rafter hipped like a cow so needs quite a bit more weight on his hind end. He's on the right path though!

themacpack 01-22-2012 06:42 PM

Until the mare is gone I would start working on some other plans to be able to give him more access to hay - such as tying or otherwise confining her for even a short time and giving him some hay, feeding him a flake or two while you work her, etc I am not sure what your fencing situation is like, but I often use our small paddock (it's gated off but w/in our main pasture area) to be able to give one horse more and one less access to either hay or grazing (such as my all too easy keeping mini who needs way less access to the food than our TB -- of course, in their situation I also have the advantage of being able to put the TBs extra hay rations in a manger that has a side too tall for the mini to reach over/into but is no issue for the TB)

furbabymum 01-22-2012 07:00 PM

She's a fence wrecker. I've tried fencing them apart before and she just busts through. So, I'm hoping to do a temporary trade with someone who might be interested in my mare for keeps. Hopefully I can get her out of here soon. Until then I'm standing between them while he eats.