The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Appy Markings, What Color Is She? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/appy-markings-what-color-she-110384/)

Sinister 01-22-2012 06:15 PM

Appy Markings, What Color Is She?
 
Just got my new mare home, I'm not really good with Appy coloring names so what is she? I'd call her a varnish with blanket and leopard spots, don't know how well you can see the spots since they're on top of her rump but they are there! :D

http://www.horseforum.com/horses/pho...1e4df_full.jpg
http://www.horseforum.com/horses/pho...fe9b8_full.jpg
http://www.horseforum.com/horses/pho...729fd_full.jpg

More pictures are located here: http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conf...3/#post1320798

StraitGirl 01-22-2012 06:49 PM

Although I'm not an appy breeder and have limited knowledge on all of their colour genes, I do love the breed and have come across many beautiful horses/colours. My best guess would be a bay roan with a spotted blanket. :-)

Faceman 01-22-2012 06:51 PM

As to color, her base color is bay. She has a double pattern - blanket with spots and varnish roan. At age 8, her coloring out is progressing pretty well...

NdAppy 01-22-2012 06:52 PM

Brown base, not bay IMO. Color pattern I am 110% in agreement with Face! :-)

Faceman 01-22-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 1320861)
Brown base, not bay IMO. Color pattern I am 110% in agreement with Face! :-)

I was wondering about the brown base - mostly from the pictures she posted in her conformation thread - the muzzle sure looks like a brown in those pictures. You are most likely correct...

NdAppy 01-22-2012 06:57 PM

Yeah. I was just looking at the confo thread. Really does show there. :-)

stacysills02 01-22-2012 07:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 85649

Attachment 85650

includeing to the appalossa horse club theyd say its a Bay roan. heres the web page for you so you can see.
Guide to Identifying an Appaloosa
when i googled bay roan appalossa the pictures above came up . hope this helps

Sinister 01-22-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1320859)
As to color, her base color is bay. She has a double pattern - blanket with spots and varnish roan. At age 8, her coloring out is progressing pretty well...

Yeah I knew she was a bay haha, I have another bay that's a varnish roan with a blanket and he's near his 20s and is almost completely roaned out with his blanket.

SRCM16 01-22-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stacysills02 (Post 1320889)

To me the first picture looks like a buckskin Appy, and the second looks like a rabicano (sp) overo paint. :rofl:

Sinister 01-22-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stacysills02 (Post 1320889)
Attachment 85649

Attachment 85650

includeing to the appalossa horse club theyd say its a Bay roan. heres the web page for you so you can see.
Guide to Identifying an Appaloosa
when i googled bay roan appalossa the pictures above came up . hope this helps

Actually I think the second is a rabicano :lol:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0