The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Potential buy--dressage horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/potential-buy-dressage-horse-110414/)

teamfire 01-22-2012 09:56 PM

Potential buy--dressage horse?

Okay, sales seem to have dried up a bit in my area, but have got into contact with this one. (Even then, three hours away and over the border, haha)

What are your thoughts as a potential mid-level (3rd-4th level) dressage horse? This horse is currently schooling level 1.

I'm a little concerned about her hip... if it looks too weak? Or maybe her back is long, or loins are weak? Something seems strange to me.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/...adows/abby.jpg

maura 01-22-2012 10:10 PM

It's not a great photo for evaluating confo, her hind end is angled away from the camera, which is making her quarter appear shorter/weaker than in really is.

I see exactly the same thing you do, btw, but I really wonder how much of it was produced by the camera angle. The underlying structure of her hind end is good, it's just that it looks out of proportion to the front end.

The front end is lovely, with a terrific shoulder angle and a wonderful neck set for a dressage horse. Good cannon to forearm ratio, nice flat clean knees, good pastern angles.

At the very least contact the seller and get a decent set of photos or a vid of her moving to help you decide whether it's worth the trip to go see her.

teamfire 01-22-2012 10:32 PM

I do have a vid:

Does that help?

Spyder 01-22-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teamfire (Post 1321148)
Okay, sales seem to have dried up a bit in my area, but have got into contact with this one. (Even then, three hours away and over the border, haha)

What are your thoughts as a potential mid-level (3rd-4th level) dressage horse? This horse is currently schooling level 1.

I'm a little concerned about her hip... if it looks too weak? Or maybe her back is long, or loins are weak? Something seems strange to me.

It will probably do level 3 or maybe 4 but I suspect the scores may be disappointing.

teamfire 01-22-2012 10:41 PM

To be honest, I don't care about winning. I just want to be able to ride at that level at the best of my and my horse's ability. But nor do I want to force a horse that just isn't simply built for it.

caseymyhorserocks 01-22-2012 11:17 PM

Her hind end looks a little weak to me, and from the video, she doesn't use it to collect herself, she hasn't yet learned "true" collection, IMO. And her front end, when trotting, seems to be a little short strided, and to 'up and down' if you get what I mean..

happy123 01-23-2012 01:00 AM

She.looks like she needs some hard core backing done.

Skyseternalangel 01-23-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happy123 (Post 1321397)
She.looks like she needs some hard core backing done.

I'm not following..

thesilverspear 01-23-2012 05:47 AM

No fluidity to her movement at all. Might be the way she goes, might be the way she's being ridden, but even if the latter, you'd need to do a lot of work reschooling and who knows what you'll get. Doesn't look as if she has much natural suspension and engagement.

maura 01-23-2012 06:28 AM

Quote:

she doesn't use it to collect herself, she hasn't yet learned "true" collection
??? nor should she have, at the level she's currently working.

If you're using "collection" in it's dressage sense, it's entirely appropriate for this horse to not be working in collection, as it's at Training level.

Teamfire, based on the video, I would say your initial impresson from the photo is accurate - she does seem to lack something behind. She also seems to lack the forwardness and fluidity I would like to see at her level of training.

She might very well make a nice Training or First Level horse, but I agree with Spyder, I think she'll struggle to do much more than that.

So if your goal is to move farther up the levels, I might keep looking.