The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cars and Trucks (http://www.horseforum.com/cars-trucks/)
-   -   Honda question (http://www.horseforum.com/cars-trucks/honda-question-110478/)

gingerscout 01-23-2012 12:40 PM

Honda question

Hi a month or so ago I picked up a used accord from a lady my father worked with.. and for the price I couldnt find anything running usually, and everything works great, passes inspection, and runs/ drives decent.. needs some work but about a grand worth and it should be perfect, but is driveable as is.. anyways.. it needs a valve cover gasket so it leaks oil.. not much so I decided to check the oil as she said it was changed 3 days before I bought it and there are no level marks on the dipstick.. just 2 holes way down on the stick.. which im assuming are full and low.. but I wipe the dipstick off and insert it and the oil level is like 2-3 inches above the top hole. which makes me wonder if its overfilled or ?? I wish someone knew how honda does it as this is my first foreign car ever.. other than that it I have no complaints, after tires, cv joints, and a general tune and fluid change, and the leaky gasket it should be a great car.. runs like a swiss watch.. but bogs when you get on it hard.. so I think it may need a tune eventually, uses no oil or shows no signs of being overfilled?

draftgrl 01-30-2012 12:21 PM

Ha! that's a good question, as you know, I don't know much about foreign either. Have you checked out any forums about hondas?

2muchcoffeeman 03-01-2012 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerscout (Post 1321894)
Hi a month or so ago I picked up a used accord from a lady my father worked with.. and for the price I couldnt find anything running usually, and everything works great, passes inspection, and runs/ drives decent.. needs some work but about a grand worth and it should be perfect, but is driveable as is.. anyways.. it needs a valve cover gasket so it leaks oil.. not much so I decided to check the oil as she said it was changed 3 days before I bought it and there are no level marks on the dipstick.. just 2 holes way down on the stick.. which im assuming are full and low.. but I wipe the dipstick off and insert it and the oil level is like 2-3 inches above the top hole. which makes me wonder if its overfilled or ?? I wish someone knew how honda does it as this is my first foreign car ever.. other than that it I have no complaints, after tires, cv joints, and a general tune and fluid change, and the leaky gasket it should be a great car.. runs like a swiss watch.. but bogs when you get on it hard.. so I think it may need a tune eventually, uses no oil or shows no signs of being overfilled?

You're overfilled. Oil level needs to be between the two holes.

How's your oil level now?

npatel123 04-02-2012 06:17 AM

Checking oil is an important part of maintaining a vehicle. The best time to check your oil is when the car has not been running for at least 5 -10 minutes and its very bad to overfill your engine with oil. its better to be a little low than it is to be over full.

Joe4d 04-02-2012 12:40 PM

well hopefully it is just over filled, 2 two three inches is insane, Does it all look nice and clean? A cracked head or maybe a leaking fuel sytem can fill your crank case with fuel or antifreeze, smell it does it smell like gas ? or Antifreeze ? Either way you need drain it NOW DONOT DRVE IT, you can destroy the engine.

ls6firebird 04-02-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1435539)
well hopefully it is just over filled, 2 two three inches is insane, Does it all look nice and clean? A cracked head or maybe a leaking fuel sytem can fill your crank case with fuel or antifreeze, smell it does it smell like gas ? or Antifreeze ? Either way you need drain it NOW DONOT DRVE IT, you can destroy the engine.

agreed. you'll know by checking the oil if you got coolant in it.