The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   help me - Using leg aids when in canter (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/help-me-using-leg-aids-when-110488/)

Minime 01-23-2012 03:01 PM

help me - Using leg aids when in canter

Hi Guys so since ive finally gotten lynn to keep cantering around thea rena without breaking into trot. I now want to work on the way im applying my leg aids in canter wheneven i apply leg aids in canter it looks and feels absolutely terirble baiscally my leg goes back to far and it feels like my legs are just flapping about. Has anyone got some tips on what part of the leg i should be using when applying leg aids im ok in walk and trot but canter is a disaster i know its basic thing and i should have it but i feel ive never beuing thought correctly :D

mudpie 01-23-2012 03:05 PM

Make sure that you keep stretching your heel down. Your aids should be applied with your lower leg/calf so you never use your heels as an aid at all. Really work on keeping your heel down and "scooping ice-cream" with your seat when you canter. :)

Minime 01-23-2012 06:34 PM

So am I correct in saying that alot of the aid comes from the seat. At the mo I allow my seat to follow the movement of the canter also it sounds like I've being applying leg aids incorrectly for years because usually when asking for an upward transition I give slight nudge with my heel and to maintain rythymn I more less just point my toe downwards and kind of stroke horse suds with heel
Posted via Mobile Device

Spyder 01-23-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minime (Post 1322060)
Hi Guys so since ive finally gotten lynn to keep cantering around thea rena without breaking into trot. I now want to work on the way im applying my leg aids in canter wheneven i apply leg aids in canter it looks and feels absolutely terirble baiscally my leg goes back to far and it feels like my legs are just flapping about. Has anyone got some tips on what part of the leg i should be using when applying leg aids im ok in walk and trot but canter is a disaster i know its basic thing and i should have it but i feel ive never beuing thought correctly :D

http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/a...-canter-93962/

mudpie 01-24-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minime (Post 1322423)
So am I correct in saying that alot of the aid comes from the seat. At the mo I allow my seat to follow the movement of the canter also it sounds like I've being applying leg aids incorrectly for years because usually when asking for an upward transition I give slight nudge with my heel and to maintain rythymn I more less just point my toe downwards and kind of stroke horse suds with heel
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep no heel! Heel is bad! Your heel stays stretched down and never comes up. You ask for transitions, etc. from your calf/lower leg. :)

Minime 01-27-2012 03:44 PM

I tried again the last few days even asking her to bend im struggling I can't seem keep my heal down am apple to apply leg aid but I know it doesn't look correct and most def doesn't feel good it's really annoying me
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 01-27-2012 04:41 PM

Is it keeping your heel down via stretching your calf or is it keeping your heel down and your stirrup is slipping around?

Either of them, go into 2-point. ride your horse walk and then trot in two point. Use your WHOLE leg to ask for bend, never ever ever your heel.

By using your heel, you curl up your leg, sacrifice your seat, get out of balance which throws your horse out of balance, and it's not a nice quiet aid, it's a sharper uncalled for aid.

Use your leg. It may be hard, but once you can do your riding w/t in two point (I wouldn't do canter but you may need to!) then you know which part of your leg moves your horse and gives aids. And you'll stretch down and relax into your seat more.

mudpie 01-27-2012 04:45 PM

Try shortening your stirrup some. It takes some practice, and you have to think about it a lot at first, but soon it will be completely natural to you. :) Just remember that the aid comes from your calf, not your heel!

Minime 01-27-2012 04:46 PM

When I'm cantering and not applying leg aids I'm fine but when I apply a squeeze in canter my heel comes up and If I nudge her my leg just flops
Posted via Mobile Device

mudpie 01-27-2012 04:48 PM

Do you have any pictures of you riding? I have a hunch that you're riding with a "chair seat" and that that's where the issues are coming from.