The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   Skijoring Anyone? (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/skijoring-anyone-110506/)

ButtInTheDirt 01-23-2012 06:55 PM

Skijoring Anyone?

It basically counts as driving, I would assume. So does anyone do this or know anyone who does this? Pictures would be fabulous! It just seems like something that would interest me. (I would have to learn how to ski, first.) It just seems like fun. Good, wholesome, dangerous fun.

kait18 01-26-2012 12:06 PM

omg maybe i will try this :) hahaha i feel the adrenaline going already :)

ButtInTheDirt 01-26-2012 02:46 PM

I need to get one of my friends on board with this and tie the rope to tthe saddle horn.
Posted via Mobile Device

kait18 01-26-2012 04:46 PM

haha i will have to pull out my skiies and my sister :D and problemly my rock climbing harness :)

harness on ropes connected to horn, and each side of saddle where breast collar connects .. attached to caribeners (sp) in probable a figure 8 and make figure 8 is set up for quick unhooking... lol and then set up driving reins for control...

hmm... not sure if this is safe lol i might have go find a picture to figure out a sane way of doing this :D

sammerson 01-26-2012 04:49 PM

Every time I see pictures I get super jealous. I would LOVE to try it but I'm pretty sure my lot would be useless at it.

Just another excuse to buy another horse! Ha! Like I needed an excuse!!!

kait18 01-26-2012 04:56 PM

haha try it out... i am going to try this weekend :) let the competition begin hahaha lol
i take it back the harness lol i just saw some picturess... i will have to be an inventer this weekend and figure something out :)

kait18 01-26-2012 05:05 PM

http://www.nasja.com/sitebuilder/ima...45-250x166.jpg
i am gonna do that!!! me boarding and my sister riding!! looks easy enough hahahahahahaha

sammerson 01-26-2012 05:07 PM

I really want to try it...of course around here...i would have to get roller skates or something...its still 70 degrees outside!!!

kait18 01-26-2012 05:26 PM

sammerson i dare you to do it with roller skates :) or even skate board lol it would be fun... i think i will try that as well when the summer comes around.. :)
gosh my weekends will be filled with hunter pacers. endurance rides. ski joring, rollerskating joring hahahaha
pls someone else try this and post pics with me :)

Saddlebag 01-26-2012 11:28 PM

We used to use a horse with harness. We'd tie a rope on both sides at the belly band and secure it to a stick, like water skiiers. The skier also controlled the horse with the long reins. We'd go down a hard packed road and a trained work horse knows to go in a straight line. Skiing skills were pretty basic, keeping them paralled and avoiding the occasional load of hot steaming buns coming out of the oven. Other than smell, not bad if you hit them fresh but definitely not frozen. Towing a skiier and carrying the weight of a saddle and rider very quickly tires the horse. A hard packed road is better than loose snow, less resistance. The horse sweats pretty heavily too. With the work horse we'd mainly walk and trot a little to keep her from getting heavily sweated up.